Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 is stock, I would like to keep an 08 stock if I get one, but from what I'm reading on here it looks like I would need to do some things to an 08 just to make run right.

Thanks!

·
Diesel-less
4,271 Posts
As far as I know, DPF delete and possibly an EGR delete will run you a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
As far as I know, DPF delete and possibly an EGR delete will run you a few hundred bucks.
about 1200 for the DPF delete and exhaust,EGR delete, and a cold air intake

·
Diesel-less
4,271 Posts
I was only about a $1,000 off :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I was only about a $1,000 off :)
i think the dpf delete with exhaust is about 7-8 hundred, ive heard that the EGR delete is free with the right tools, and a good dry filter CAI is about 4 hundred

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
just get a 06 and toss a smarty on it :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you’re happy with the stock power of your current ride, you'll be more than happy with the 08. The only two reasons I use to justify the DPF and EGR delete are; Better fuel mileage (that didn't work because I can't keep my foot out of it) and the strange power addiction that constantly ends up with my ability to piss off my wife with ups deliveries. Seriously, the only thing to compare is fuel mileage, everything else that you could compare, stock for stock the 6.7 is light years better.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
but from what I'm reading on here it looks like I would need to do some things to an 08 just to make run right.
There are a lot of enthusiasts on here who feel that if it ain't smoking like a train and rattling like a 12 valve then it ain't running right... :D

You shouldn't have to spend any money on a brand new truck to make it run 'right' mine is bone stock and runs 'right' by me... now if you want to increase the performance in the name of making it run 'right' then plan on throwing down a few thousand.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
As said before me, If you get an 08 and leave it stock it should be fine. Make sure it has the most recent flash before you leave the dealership. They seemed to have gotten most of the bugs under control. If you get to excessive idle situations then you may have issues with the DPF but normal conditions you should be fine.

·
Banned
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with some of the others, bone stock and she runs right. If you are wanting it to smoke or are after the thought of better mpg then you're going to spend several thousand getting there. I don't think you will ever get back in fuel savings what you invest in the after market, especially if you have a warranty issue with the mods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info,

If I get an 08 I would want to leave it stock. I was just concerned that I would have to spend $ on a brand new truck just to keep from have problems with it.

My 04 has plenty of power for what I do, so I am sure I would be more than happy with the power of an 08 with the 6.7L.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
If your 04 has plenty of power for you stock then the 08 is gonna blow your socks off :) I haven't had a single issue with my 08 I got last August.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your 04 has plenty of power for you stock then the 08 is gonna blow your socks off :) I haven't had a single issue with my 08 I got last August.
Thanks, that's what I like to hear. I like my 04, I just don't like the tranny.

How many miles on your 08?

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
23K. You will love the 68RE

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm picking up an 08 in July and expect to run just fine. Leaving it stock because of warranty issues.
I plan to do some towing (gotta make this baby pay for itself hauling gravel in a dump trailer). From what I've seen on the forums, it don't need no more stinkin' power!, and as had been mentioned, most or all of the problems have been worked out.

If it broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Compared to my 99 with chip exhaust and intake this 08 is a monster!! I have never had a code thrown yet that I saw but the dealer did tell me when I took it in for a flash it had a P0154.

You will love the new truck right up till it needs to feed!!

Chris
What's a P0154?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts