Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how much smoke?

1080 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  BighornSheep
I just put a new vp44 and edge juice with attitude on my truck. I was pulling a toyota truck on a car hauler last night and had my edge on #3 setting and when I put er down there was hardly any black smoke and I don't think it has the power it should. would low fuel pressure from the lp rob power? I know it shouldnt drop below 10psi and mine drops to 8psi when I mat it but I just wanted to see how it would pull. I'm ordering a raptor pump asap.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
817 Posts
Did you replace your lift pump when you replaced the Injector pump? Have you checked your fuel pressure? You might be killing your brand new pump right now if you're towing with low pressure especially with that edge. Get your pressure checked and get back with us.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a new stock lift pump on but it can't keep up, so I just set my low fuel pressure warning for 10psi on my edge until I get a raptor pump. so my truck won't smoke until I put it on #5 setting?

· Registered
613 Posts
I had my new vp with just the stock lift pump for a day. idle it was 15-16 wot on 5 it would go down to 8. I put on the hpfp 150 and it smokes alot more now

· Future Fly Boy!
2,227 Posts
Make sure your low boost fueling is set up to 5 if you want to see smoke
:ditto:8psi prob. wont kill you either, but the 5 at WOT isnt good...get a quality LP like an air dog or Fass...and no, it wont see more smoke w/ them like some people say...it just seems like more because you are able to blast away on lvl 5 w/o much worries, untill your tranny starts slipping...lift pump now, and start saving for some tranny upgrades...

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:ditto:8psi prob. wont kill you either, but the 5 at WOT isnt good...get a quality LP like an air dog or Fass...and no, it wont see more smoke w/ them like some people say...it just seems like more because you are able to blast away on lvl 5 w/o much worries, untill your tranny starts slipping...lift pump now, and start saving for some tranny upgrades...[/QUO

no worries, I have the 5 speed

· Got P7100?
6,489 Posts
how do I adjust that?
I think its menu, then juice configuration, the low boost fueling or throttle response(something like that, its been forever since i set all of mine to 5), then go to each level 1-5 and turn the setting up to 5.

· Registered
638 Posts
well, start savin for a DD or TD clutch, and the possibility of fifth gear goin out...:doh::doh::doh:

TD clutch = Triple disc clutch? im pretty sure Dan Vallance is the only one running a triple disc on this forum.

if youre just going to run the edge comp you can easily tow with a organic/feramic or a feramic clutch, as long as youre not towing a ton of weight.

but first things first, get that raptor on there :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.