Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Just bought my first diesel a year ago, a 2007 5.9 QC 2500. I never paid attention to the tailpipe, until a few months ago. I started it up to show a friend and this cloud of white smoke came out. It cleared up right away, but I was surprised. So I started looking out the right side mirror when I cranked it over. I noticed it again a few weeks later after it had sat in a parking lot all day. But usually, it doesn't do it. And if I wait for the manifold heater indicator to go out, it doesn't do it (Sales guy said to ignore the light & just crank it, but I think he's wrong. ) And when I'm on the highway and floor it, a lot of smoke comes out. I can see it in the cars headlights behind me. If I floor it a couple of more times, the smoke seems to just about go away. It may have a ting of brown in it, tough to tell. Don't know if these two things (start-up smoke & hard acceleration smoke) are related or not. Anyway, I'm going to the dealers for my 15,000 mile and was wondering what to tell him to check. Turbo maybe? Injectors? Or is it just the way these things run? Thanks in advance for taking the time to help a new guy out. I love this truck.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
A cummins motor is gonna smoke a little even bone stock. i noticed the same thing when my truck was new.( before i started playing with it. ) sometimes the smoke that you think is white, is really not. especially at night when other cars lights are behind you, the smoke will really look white. if it is white smoke, it could be a number of things. first thing i might have checked would be injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked Oil Level

Hi,
I just went out & checked the oil level. It is over the high end "safe" marking on the dip stick by about 1/8", all three times I checked. So I am guessing by your comment that this is being caused by weak injectors that are allowing diesel fuel into the oil to raise the oil level? So given the oil is high, what should I tell the dealer he has to do or check? And thanks for your time and help on this, much appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appointment Tuesday

Hello all,
I've got my 15,000 mile appointment set up for next Tuesday at the dealers. I'd really appreciate any additional info you can provide me with before I go there. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Tell them you are gaining some oil and think your injectors might be bad. They can check them. Have you gained any oil since the other day?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'll give you my opinion on this matter. I think most Dodge salesman are extremely ignorant when it comes to Cummins engines. You probably know more than they do. Second, taking the truck to the dealership for routine maintenance could be bad. Unless you know that these techs are good and they care, I would do the work myself. If you can't, find a diesel shop near you and have them do it. You can learn a lot by just asking these guys questions.

Now to the white smoke. Most likely your injectors are sticking because of the Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel that we get at the station now. All you need to do is put fuel additive in your tank when you fill up. I recommend Stanadyne Performance Formula. It runs about $7 a bottle, good for 2 tanks. You can get it at fuel injection shops or online @ one of the diesel performance retailers such as Genos Garage or Diesel Manor. This should clear up the majority of your white smoke, but you may have just a puff at start up. The ULSD does not lube as well as LSD. This is the reason for the injectors sticking. Good luck!!!

:welcome:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just checked. Oil level may be up slightly or the same from 2 days ago. Tough to tell exactly. Is it a big deal to check the injectors? Also, if it isn't the injectors, what would the most likely next thing be to look at?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just checked. Oil level may be up slightly or the same from 2 days ago. Tough to tell exactly. Is it a big deal to check the injectors? Also, if it isn't the injectors, what would the most likely next thing be to look at?
I'd put money on it being "sticking injectors."

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Like I said, they just need to be lubed with a good fuel additive. Stay away from Wal-Mart or the "cookie cutter" auto stores if you want an additive that works.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you think your oil level is still rising DON'T DRIVE YOUR TRUCK ANYMORE!!! You will do some major damage to your engine. You could possibly wash and score your cylinders and then they would have to pull the engine for sure. Maybe your ok and are just seeing some differences in the oil level from the way the truck is sitting or something like that, but I wouldnt chance it by driving it. But from what you are describing I think you will probably be fine hell there might not even be anything wrong with it. Just play it safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts