Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much power will I be able to safely handle with a new Tq. Converter and Valvebody. Also, what brands and prices.:$:

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
How much power will I be able to safely handle with a new Tq. Converter and Valvebody. Also, what brands and prices.:$:
with a single disk suncoast and vb your only weak link is the clutches and input shaft, you should be able to make about 400-450 with out any issues, just watch how much you tow and how hard you are on the peddle.

if you go triple disk you will need a billit input shaft. let your pocket be your guide.......:beer

cost for those items is usally around $1500 or less. plus labour:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
1-2 apply strap is a bigger issue then the clutch packs and I would suggest the input shaft also then you should be good to around 650 and mild boosted launches or heavy pulling.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my goal is about 600 RWHP. With my current mods what else would you think I need? Im getting a Wicked Diesel CP3 and an Airdog. As far as turbos and transmissions, I want opinions.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well my goal is about 600 RWHP. With my current mods what else would you think I need? Im getting a Wicked Diesel CP3 and an Airdog. As far as turbos and transmissions, I want opinions.
Well then we need to know a few things, do you tow?(If so how heavy) Do you plan on racing? And whats your price range? It all comes down to how much you want to spend, if it was me I'd be buying a ball bearing turbo. They can't be beat! Especially BB twins! But thats big money 8k+

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
For 600hp you need a good size single or twin turbos. At that point you really need at least 50 hp sticks, realistically more like 90hp. Airdog and the modded cp3 will help the cause.

As far as tranny mods you need a good TC, VB, billet input and output shafts and some other internals beefed up to handle the 1100-1300 ft-lbs you will be throwing at it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats crazy. I saw that II had a 800 Horsepower kit for like 8k. How come all that money is being spent so quickly? How much horsepower does the truch have now, as is? Should I lose the Edge and Puck and run a Smarty?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Thats crazy. I saw that II had a 800 Horsepower kit for like 8k. How come all that money is being spent so quickly? How much horsepower does the truch have now, as is? Should I lose the Edge and Puck and run a Smarty?
Do you have the hot code or not? Long range something like a smarty or ppe programmer will take better care of your higher horsepower needs.

·
2,246 Posts
If you decide to get rid of the edge, keep the puck, it will work well with the Smarty. You may want to just bite the bullet and get a whole new trans for the truck from HTS. If your tough on the truck at all, the stock clutch packs won't last long.

·
Registered
283 Posts
About how much would a trans cost from HTS? And what is it rated at?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
If you decide to get rid of the edge, keep the puck, it will work well with the Smarty. You may want to just bite the bullet and get a whole new trans for the truck from HTS. If your tough on the truck at all, the stock clutch packs won't last long.

Not true the stock clutch packs will hold alot of power with the right pressures.

There are guys push 800+ on stock clutch packs, flex plates intermidiate and output shafts and launching at 20+psi.

The question is what do you want to do with it? Tow, pull, race?

This makes a difference as to what you need single disk or triple disk TQ. Billet int. and output, upgraded clutch packs and so on.

At minimum I wouldnt do less then TC, billet input, VB and kevlar 1-2 apply strap.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
Not true the stock clutch packs will hold alot of power with the right pressures.

There are guys push 800+ on stock clutch packs, flex plates intermidiate and output shafts and launching at 20+psi.

The question is what do you want to do with it? Tow, pull, race?

This makes a difference as to what you need single disk or triple disk TQ. Billet int. and output, upgraded clutch packs and so on.

At minimum I wouldnt do less then TC, billet input, VB and kevlar 1-2 apply strap.
Ahh, lay off the dope man, better yet send me some of that stuff your smokin.......:rof:beer

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I am in the same boat. My tranny is good so far. No slipage. Smarty on the way. Everything is stock. I will pull a gooseneck every now and then, but mostly just play. I am not hard on my truck at all. I will be going bigger turbo and sticks later, but want a tranny first. What do they do to beef up the valve body? When they put more clutches in the tranny, do the change the drums or modify the current ones?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Relentless has several customers runnin on stock FP output and Inter shaft. Jason 03 turned a 10.99 with a single disk TC. Goerend from what I understand uses stock clutch packs and his tranny hold some monsters!

Can the break? Hell yeah! The only shaft I would never go with out is the input.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts