Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this 2001 Ram 2500 with 170k miles on it I'm looking at. Transmission and clutch were redone a couple years ago with heavier duty parts. Truck is super clean compared to many on the market and he wants about 14k for it. Just wondering what another opinion might be, I can post more about what done to the truck too. Thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Would need more details. Front end rebuilt? Long bed or short? 4x4? Aftermarket lift pump? Has the VP44 been replaced? AC working correctly? Heater working correctly? Any programmer been used? Have you pulled any codes? 14K would be ok with me if all of those things have been dealt with. But 14K would be on the high end for me as there would many other mods I prefer to get the most out of that year model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would need more details. Front end rebuilt? Long bed or short? 4x4? Aftermarket lift pump? Has the VP44 been replaced? AC working correctly? Heater working correctly? Any programmer been used? Have you pulled any codes? 14K would be ok with me if all of those things have been dealt with. But 14K would be on the high end for me as there would many other mods I prefer to get the most out of that year model.
This is what is on the listing and I talked to him and he said there is a slow leak in AC somewhere but that's about the worst or so it seems.

New wheel bearings, CV joints, track bar, brakes,fan clutch, serpentine belt, tensioner pulley and alternator.

Like new E-rated all terrain tires with only a couple thousand miles. Come with a 40k warranty that will go with the truck.

Isspro A-pillar aftermarket gauges
Includes exhaust temp, turbo boost and fuel pressure with low fuel pressure warning.

Air dog Rapter FRRP 150GPH lift pump.

New Bosch VP44 injector pump from Thoroughbred Diesel.

NV 4500 manual transmission rebuilt couple years ago with new synchros, 5th gear fix, tail housing upgrade as well as a new extreme duty clutch.

Banks Power Exhaust Brake

Banks 4-inch monster exhaust

Boost elbow upgrade

Edge EZ tuner with 3 power levels

Truck has been in family over 17 years.

Instrument cluster sporadically shows no-bus message. Will include replacement cluster, but will need odometer programed from Dodge

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like it was all done the right way. I’d be interested to know if the fan clutch was a oem replacement or a parts store purchase. Also was the track bar a quality replacement part or a parts store buy? At that age it’ll need balls joints and other front end work done sooner than later, but it seems like it was well cared for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like it was all done the right way. I’d be interested to know if the fan clutch was a oem replacement or a parts store purchase. Also was the track bar a quality replacement part or a parts store buy? At that age it’ll need balls joints and other front end work done sooner than later, but it seems like it was well cared for.
What would be the ball park you might try and get this for? I still haven't seen it in person so I'm just trying to see what others think.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What would be the ball park you might try and get this for? I still haven't seen it in person so I'm just trying to see what others think.
Depending on the history of the truck (was it worked out of daily or just used to tow weekend toys) and if has any rust. I wouldn’t give more than 12K, but that’s Bc I’d want to upgrade to 3rd Gen brakes, upgrade to sport headlights, and I’d want an aftermarket exhaust brake for heavy towing in the mountains. Also, you can almost guarantee it will need a new evaporator, heater core, and likely a blend door which requires a dash removal (time consuming). There are just a lot of little things that add up so I wouldn’t pay a premium for this old of a truck unless it was from someone who was maniacal about preventative maintenance and has replaced/or done upgrades that are reliable. But the price is fair compared to other similar trucks for sale out there and there are plenty on this forum that would buy it in a heartbeat. You really need to drive it first. See if the steering is tight (it probably won’t feel like a brand new truck but use your judgement) Also ask them if they are getting any surging or TC lock/unlock symptoms when cruising around 35-50 mph. They’ll know what you mean.

·
Registered
559 Posts
For me rust would be the thing...get underneath it and look at all the sheet metal. Open the doors and look at the undersides. Rust free means different things to different people.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Check similar trucks in your area. Without everything done to the one you're looking at I bet they are going for not to much less than this one. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal as long as it isn't rotted bad....IMHO

·
Registered
559 Posts
Check similar trucks in your area. Without everything done to the one you're looking at I bet they are going for not to much less than this one. Doesn't sound like too bad a deal as long as it isn't rotted bad....IMHO
At $14k there should be NO ROT or you're probably paying too much. Even in the NE, where rot is a way of life, you can find zero rot trucks for that price tag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts