Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinkin about buying an edge comp and I just wanted to get some ur alls opinions on how much my stock 6-speed clutch will hold? It has about 93,000 miles on it....appreciate any information.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if the clutch has 93000 on it it will hold but will wear quicker than it would without the chip. you hav to get a new clucth sometime.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey man, how's it going. Yeah you're stock clutch will hold the power, granted you're not having problems all ready. I drove my truck with just the comp box on it from 76,000 miles to 96,000 miles and never had any problems with it. At 96,000 is when the mods came. Then when I knew I was getting my dual disk, I was at DHRA in Indy a couple years back and I thought, what the heck, turned the Comp on 5x5 and dropped it doing a burnout. And nothing ever happened to it, but I'm not saying I'd try it because it could mess the tranny up or the input shaft..but that's just my two cents. Overall though, just driving it, you should be fine and shouldn't have a problem. Good luck and let us know what how it goes!

·
Registered
609 Posts
When I got my truck..it had 117000 on it....2 mos later..I got my Edge Juice on it..and after 6 mos..I found that I couldn't run setting 5 cause the clutch would slip...so I drove it like that for a while until I could get a new clutch.....Bottom line...it should hold for a while..but It will wear out on you the more you hammer on it...Plan on a clutch sooner than later...I'd think...

·
Registered
135 Posts
When my dad bought a Comp w/ hot unlock the stock clutch went out the first day at 115k, your gonna need a new one eventually just go quality when you replace it

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just curious....if I ever do have to get a clutch, there's a shop down here where I live, yall might have heard of it.... Kenny's Pullin Clutches.... he is pretty big named and makes alot of clutches for alot of people....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd go with Valair...cheaper than Southbend..and just as good..but do the research...and find one that will get you the best bang for you hard earned $$$$

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that if I get me a comp and I am half way decent on the pedal and not letting it eat all the time that my clutch will last quite a while.... that is hard to do though, but I am going to have to....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Get a clutch on order...cause we all know that goin "easy on it" ain't gonna happen....I still haven't gone "easy on it" since I got my Juice...and that's with diesel at $4.29/gal... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
the stock clutch will hold for a good bit..just wont hold up to any abuse like pulls or pulling a trl w/ any amount of weight and if you are in the market for a clutch and aren't plannin on pulling the sled i wouldnt recomend a dual disk..you'll just b :$: away

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the stock clutch will hold for a good bit..just wont hold up to any abuse like pulls or pulling a trl w/ any amount of weight and if you are in the market for a clutch and aren't plannin on pulling the sled i wouldnt recomend a dual disk..you'll just b :$: away
I would be alright to tow some heavy things as long as I didn't tow with the bnox cranked all the way up wouldn't I????

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have got a friend that got a comp, and his clutch started slipping a few months later. He pulls around a gooseneck and a 5th wheel pretty often.

·
Premium Member
10,396 Posts
If you are going to tow, have the Comp turned down. When I pull a trailer I set the Comp on 2x1 to keep the EGT's down and of course the smoke.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The stock clutch will hold it - But would recomend a new one for sure. I still have my stock clutch with 100,500 miles on it and cannot romp on it on stage 5x5 just slips and a really bad smell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ive had my juice on for a few thousand miles now and always drive on 5. haven't had any issues with the clutch yet and have 130k on it. (stock as far as i know) i don't pull a trailer but i do mash the throttle a lot :peelout

1 - 15 of 15 Posts