Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How Much Drop/Receiver Will I Need?

1566 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  08 Black Cummins
Fishing season is here and I want to buy a new adjustable receiver for my truck.

I was looking at those nice aluminum adjustable units, but not sure how much drop I will need........and do not have access to my father's boat/trailer, to measure.

I have 37" tires and a 4.5" lift.......I dont want to get something way too long, but at the same time I want to get something that will also adjust far enough down, so the boat trailer will sit level

6", 8" 10" drop.....any guesses?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Do your homework and measure before you buy. What a manufacturer may call an 8" drop may really be morelike a 6" drop. I have a 6" lift and 35s and it took a 10" drop to get my car hualer to sit level. Sounds excessive but when you look at it, it looks right. They call it a 10" but in reality, it is more like an 8" I went with a Diversi tech DT-STBM7000 (Aluminum adjustable) I am very happy with it.

· Registered
103 Posts
iv'e been told you want the top of the ball 18 to 20 inches off the ground.mark off a stick or something and measure back.

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I measured my father's trailer, on a level surface

The bottom of the trailer tongue is 16" and the the inside of the tongue mount (where the ball will seat) is 18"

I am going to measure to the center of my hitch, to see that the difference is.....

I found this info:

The 10" drop is recommended for lifted vehicles and has adjustment options, from approximately 4" of drop to the full 10" drop.

A quick and easy way to judge what size drop you need is to measure from the ground up to the inside top of your 2" receiver tube. If the measurement is 20" or less - the 3 1/2" drop is for you. If the measurement is between 20" and 24" you need the 5 1/2" drop. If you measure more than 24" you will need the 10" drop. The tongue heights of your trailers and the suspension on your truck play a part, but in most cases these measurements will give you what you need. If you are unsure, please take your truck to your local dealer for advice.

Does anyone have experience with the DT (Diverstech, Dual Locking ) line of aluminum adjustable receiver hitches? It seems like alot of people buy the Rapid Hitch, but holy cow that DT brand is very nice!

· ICC Advertising Director
972 Posts
I have a stock 06 on 33's and use an 8" for most of what I tow, which is low slung enclosed trailers and boats. For our big enclosed I use a 5.5". Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meausrements:
Bottom of truck hitch: 25"
Center of truck hitch: 26"
Top of truck hitch: 27"

Bottom of the trailer tongue: 16"
Inside of the tongue mount: 18"

Anyone have an idea on how much drop I should look at?

· ICC Advertising Director
972 Posts
Hitch drop is always measured from the top of the drawbar. Looks like you would need either an 8" or a 10" depending on the tongue weight of the trailer.

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hitch drop is always measured from the top of the drawbar. Looks like you would need either an 8" or a 10" depending on the tongue weight of the trailer.
I think I am going to get the 10", that way I can still adjust it to a smaller dro, if needed

The Diversitech series of self locking hitches are really nice....I just bought one for $250

· Dey took er jerbs!
2,198 Posts
I would say 8 or 10. I use a 12" drop to make my boat trailer level with a 6" lift/37s

· Registered
149 Posts
Looking at picking up a DT ball mount. I'm stock running 33" so I'm guessing the 8" would work well. If I plan on going with a modest suspension setup (Carli 2.0) does it make sense to spring for the 10" drop?

I just don't want the drop hitch portion being too ridiculously low.

Thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.