Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering some mild performance upgrades to improve towing. Everyone talks about installing cold air intakes, BHAF's, etc, but I've yet to see anyone write down actual numbers, ie dynos, quarter mile times/trap speeds, etc. Has anyone done this?

I can understand a better exhaust, as improving outflow should lower EGT's and allow the turbo to spool up faster, therefore more lower rpm torque. But is this factory airbox that much of an impediment? Is the desire for a BHAF actually fooling you into thinking it's faster because it's louder? Or is louder the only reason, ie silencer ring?

Anyone have numbers to back up their opinions ? :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-1532.pdf

Look at how the torque curve moves towards the higher end of the RPM's, you are loosing torque and horsepower on the low end, personally if you are towing or doing city driving i would think that the K&N filter anyway would hurt the economy since you are making the engine work at a higher RPM to make the horsepower.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
cai's, i wouldnt expect much in hp & tq gains, but your truck will love you for it

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You can tell a little difference

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put a airaid filter on the end of my stock hose, and it brought my quarter mile time from 21 down to 16, thats a bunch

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ynots57: OK why, or why not? (sorry, couldn't resist.....:) )

How would my truck love me for it?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
If you are looking for a little performance upgrade then I would try a programmer. I have the Hypertech 3 Stage programmer and it works wonders for the price. There is definately a noticable difference. It helps a lot more than an airbox would for around the same price or less.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
ynots57: OK why, or why not? (sorry, couldn't resist.....:) )

How would my truck love me for it?
a aftermarket intake breaths better than stock, combined with a non restrictive exhaust your turbo will work more efficiently. between exhaust and intake you will probably gain around 25 hp and have cooler egt's

My tires break loose much easier after my cai & exhaust mods

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I put a airaid filter on the end of my stock hose, and it brought my quarter mile time from 21 down to 16, thats a bunch
? 5 seconds off the 1/4... I call BS:popcorn:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yea, me too!!!B S.

·
Vendor
8,594 Posts
I can hardly tell the difference of 20hp between box settings. It is hard to tell small differences in HP in a 7000lb truck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll need a new exhaust as this one is still the original factory one, and looks it. No holes, yet. Good point about 20 hp in a heavy truck. I like the programmer idea.

Does anyone have any numbers as to what hp the Cummins needs to get to before the factory airbox becomes a limiting factor?

·
Vendor
8,594 Posts
I think the stock airbox is a restriction about 80-100hp above stock. with a clean air filter you can tell as it will pull the filterminder down.
I am usinf a BHAF righ now

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that's a tip with some science behind it. Keep adding performance items, watch the EGT's and FP of course, then add an aftermarket intake when stomping on the throttle sucks down the Filterminder. I have a clean Fleetguard in it now.

Thanks!:beer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts