Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well PDD had a sale going on the their drop in 362sxe (62/ 68/ .70), so I ordered one up.
My question is how much boost and timing can the stock head gasket take with just ARP studs (swapped in one at a time) in a daily driver/ light towing type application. I'm thinking 18* and 45 psi is kinda what I should shoot for but I'd like to hear some thoughts from those with experience. Thanks

Premium Member
Hm. I鈥檇 give them a retorque at a minimum. People have gotten some impressive numbers out of them though. I think you鈥檒l be plenty safe with those numbers though. Let me know how you like that turbo. I鈥檝e got a BD Super B that鈥檚 been machined to a 62 compressor wheel. It鈥檚 meh. I鈥檝e heard great things about that 362. Wish I could get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I figured 18* and 45psi was safe, but I'm wondering if limiting to those numbers is just leaving HP on the table (safe/ reliable HP in a daily driver application ).

The 10th Man
If you want me to tell you you'll be 100% reliable with that setup I cannot, because lets be fair, even stock trucks can blow head gaskets. However, I took a 362, 5x20's and 025's to 52 psi boost and 24掳 timing with stock head bolts without an issue. That being said you shouldn't have an issue, I'd hot retorque you're studs to 150-160 and then send it. All that being said you are leaving power on the table with 18掳, I went from 480hp to 550 on the above setup going from 18掳 to 24掳.

Registered
I run retorqued stockers for several years and so far have had no issues. I don't beat on it regularly but it occasionally gets the beans.

I run a 913 pump static timed at 18*.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
If you want me to tell you you'll be 100% reliable with that setup I cannot, because lets be fair, even stock trucks can blow head gaskets. However, I took a 362, 5x20's and 025's to 52 psi boost and 24掳 timing with stock head bolts without an issue. That being said you shouldn't have an issue, I'd hot retorque you're studs to 150-160 and then send it. All that being said you are leaving power on the table with 18掳, I went from 480hp to 550 on the above setup going from 18掳 to 24掳.
How was the street driveablity with that much timing? I've heard (never personally bumped the timing past 18*) that going past 20* results in some serious turbo lag (great power once the turbo spools, but a little harder to get it there). I have no intention of ever competing with or racing this truck, its a street & work truck that sometimes sees off-road use ( off road action unusually happens during hunting season).

The 10th Man
Mine was an auto so it made it almost a none issue, The timing does fight you a little on a manual having to spool it after every shift, but you learn to bump your shifts up to compensate. Both my 12V's were timed at 24掳 and neither had issues starting at 0掳 here in utah, they rattled a bit more than when they were at 18掳, but when the skinny pedal hits the floor, all that kinda slips your mind.

Registered
Mine was an auto so it made it almost a none issue, The timing does fight you a little on a manual having to spool it after every shift, but you learn to bump your shifts up to compensate. Both my 12V's were timed at 24掳 and neither had issues starting at 0掳 here in utah, they rattled a bit more than when they were at 18掳, but when the skinny pedal hits the floor, all that kinda slips your mind.
Did you have to hold some pedal in it until it built some heat? Mine will light but idle at about 400rpm until it warms. I hold some pedal in it to keep the R's up. Grant it this is at altitude too (7-8000ft) so that is against me.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Registered
My stock headgasket is taking 50lbs of boost. Engine has 472000 miles on it

Reactions: TorqueWinsRaces

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
My stock headgasket is taking 50lbs of boost. Engine has 472000 miles on it

Awesome,good to know. What timing is that engine running? Injection timing also greatly contributes to the resultant cylinder firing pressure (which is what ultimately causes head gasket failure), especially at low RPM.

Registered
I am only at 16 degrees timing. I have 7x11 injectors no fuel plate 024dv 4k gov springs 63mm tater built turbo.

Registered
I am only at 16 degrees timing. I have 7x11 injectors no fuel plate 024dv 4k gov springs 63mm tater built turbo.
Just goes to show something that has been posted numerous times. High boost does not blow head gaskets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts