Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 cummins. I am running the smarty jr on sw3 and recently installed a bullydog watchdog so I could keep an eye on egt's. The boost display on the watchdog is saying I am only getting 25 lbs of boost, but it will read 25 at just past half throttle and if open it up I can hear the turbo spool up and the truck runs great. I am wondering if other guages like the ones from edge that gather readings from the OBD port are usually accurate of if I have another problem. I am having a hard time believing I am only building 25 lbs but this is the first diesel I have had in some years. I am kind of upset to spend 250 bucks on the display and get the wrong readings, but I am not sure if it is the watchdog or the truck?

·
Registered
307 Posts
i have isspro<not sure if i spelled that right but i usually ran 35-38lbs sometimes it would spike to 40. with my jr on sw3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck runs really good and the egts don't seem to be high at all. I don't know why it is only displaying 25 psi though. It's weird because it hits 25 psi fast and it feels like it is building a lot more boost after that but the gauge just stays right at 25. I really want to figure it out because if the gauge is the problem I am going to send it back and go with the edge instead.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,283 Posts
with an 06 and a smarty jr, your pushing
more than 25 for sure. id get a mechanical
boost gauge and use that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
:agree2:

On my 05 on SW3 mine will spike just around 38 or so as well.

From what i have read the analog gauges seem to give the most accurate readings.

·
Registered
307 Posts
how is the gage hooked up is it through wireing or like a boost bolt into you manifold then air line into the watch dog?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how is the gage hooked up is it through wireing or like a boost bolt into you manifold then air line into the watch dog?
It just reads everything through the OBDII. I really just bought it for the Pyro but I thought it would be nice to see boost and a few other features. Unfortunately the only thing I believe in it is the pyro. After reading a little on here I am guessing it is just not accurate, when I first took it for a spin it had me wondering if there was something wrong with my truck to only build 25PSI of boost. It seems like most people on here are running a boost fooler, will it do me any good while running the smarty jr?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Smarty Jr does boost fooling. Because of the Smarty Jr. the pressure readout from the OBDII will read lower that actual. This is to trick the ECM into allowing higher that normal boost.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If the S. jr. boost fools you can set it to stock and see what the bullydog reads for boost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the S. jr. boost fools you can set it to stock and see what the bullydog reads for boost.
I have tried it set to stock and it still shows 25PSI. Not sure what to think about it, I thought stock it should read up to about 32. Myabe I have a leak somewhere, any easy ways to check for a pressure leak in the system?

·
Registered
125 Posts
make a little cup that fits into the boost tube coming off your waste gate with a schrader valve and a ball valve so you can pressure it up and close the valve so that it holds air while you look for leaks. Make sure you put a guage on it. You can also turn this little apparatus around and use it on the turbo to check where the waste gate it set. Pressure it up and see where it pops off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts