Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed gauges yesterday. In 4th gear WOT I'm hitting 36 psi with the mods in my sig. Is this too much for stock turbo? Just seems high to me. How much can stock handle?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Go to the 94-98 tech articles.. first post is helpful links... in there is a link to "what numbers you should see on your gauges" that should help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The highest # they show is 21 psi. You have about the same mods as me. How much boost are you seeing?

·
Registered
736 Posts
everything i have heard is after 35 psi yer just blowin hot air, actually go backwards in power. Mine runs about 32

2,402 Posts
mine gets up to 35 psi, 36 or 37 if I push her hard, but i have a little more done to mine, but my fuel plate isnt as far forward as yours. 35 is pretty much what you want to be limited too on a stock turbo.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
My old 2000 topped out at barely over 30 boost, I was happy at that ,,, good mileage, nice power, well over 200k MILES still goin great

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Tony do you have a boost elbow or wastegate plugged off ? My 97 has the stock plate slid FF along with the afc housing FF. Still has the silencer ring but it sounds like the turbo is kinda screamin at 2k rpm.

Short bus those hp/tq #'s in your sig are at the wheels i assume? what rpm where those #'s acheived at? Stock turbo?

What rpm are you guys at when your at full boost. Gotta get guages for mine after the KPD is done. Mine feels like it is already at full boost around 1800-2K rpm.

·
Registered
736 Posts
mine pushes hardest around 1900 rpm

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
i hit 40psi with just a 0 plate,when i had just a stock plate in FF i was right around 35-36. so thats fine, most anything after 40 is just blowing hot air, meaning its not efficient, but aint gonna hurt anything, a couple of my buddies had crazy fueling mods, ported head, gsk's, injectors, on a stock turbo they were pushin almost 55psi, but after pullin a long hill with a loaded trailer she went boom...i wouldnt worry about anything

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
The highest # they show is 21 psi. You have about the same mods as me. How much boost are you seeing?
That is the stock wastegate setting

The HX35 is only efficient into the mid 30s, after that its blowing hot air and drive pressures are going through the roof. Anything more is basically not doing anything other than taking alot of life out of the poor old thing for no reason.

You can safely push it a little higher with a larger exhaust housing but your still going to be pushing hot air and the shafts dont usually like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts