Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How much boost pressure from a stocker???

11737 23
I just got my guages put in and this thing only makes about 12psi boost just wondering if i should be looking for a problem somewhere. Does anyone remember what a stock truck should be making. Pyro will read 900-1000 preturbo.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· 1ST GEN
11,551 Posts
I would be looking for a boost leak. The PSI is low but those EGT's are higher than a stocker would run for that boost level.

· Registered
44 Posts
Stock pump settings (5 speed truck) with stock 21cm housing would hit 19psi @ 1050degrees buried in the throttle unloaded.

I now have my pump turned up and will see 26psi @ 1200 degrees :w: I need a different turbo!

durand you must have a leak somewhere. I'd start with the i/c boots and look for rips. I know you just installed a guage, but how long do you think it has been that low? Should notice a big difference once that taken care of :headbang:

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do i find a leak? I checked the boots the look good maybe its in the ic i've had them leak in my KW before and lose alot of boost.

· Premium Member
2,153 Posts
12-15 psi is about what a stock truck with the intercooler will make. Mine was about 14 before I started down that long and expensive road of modifying the truck :lol4::lol4:

Doesn't take much to start getting bigger numbers. Intake, exhaust and turn the pump up and you can get to 25 psi or so. Add injectors and get to 30 or so. Timing, Lift pump mods, porting, water spray, nitrious, etc. all will add to the power level, just depends on how far you want to go. There are a lot of variables in this and remember that an intercooled truck will not behave the same as a non IC truck.

· Registered
425 Posts
mine was at 10psi stock. Now at 20psi,smoke screw 3 turns,star wheel all the way down,indexed fuel pin,fuel screw 2 turns,BHAF installed.

· Registered
192 Posts
mine was 12-15 also, all i did was intake and exhaust, 2 turns on fuel screw and now i can hit 30 unloaded

· Registered
108 Posts
yeah i have stock inj and i pull about 32psi and i can burry that pyro real fast ha especially with a load

· Registered
468 Posts
That's not very stock. I'd bet that you have some screwy injectors to have temperatures that high.

Mine stock was around 1000 degrees and 16 PSI max no matter what I did.
Still got the original injectors in it. Only pump work done was when the front seal went out. I had Perkins in Mesa rebuild and reset the pump. I've even got the smoke screw turned OUT 2 turns. Hence my post about ignorance being bliss. I'm scared to put my foot in it now. (But it has always been very quick from a standing start to defuel on the governor!)
:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i figured out my problem intercooler leaking like crazy. I made some plug to test it .It wont hold 10psi need to buy a new one

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Still got the original injectors in it. Only pump work done was when the front seal went out. I had Perkins in Mesa rebuild and reset the pump. I've even got the smoke screw turned OUT 2 turns. Hence my post about ignorance being bliss. I'm scared to put my foot in it now. (But it has always been very quick from a standing start to defuel on the governor!)
:thumbsup:
Something is out of spec to have pressure and temperature that high. Most likely your pump rebuilders gave you a little bit of special treatment.

· Registered
57 Posts
i think my trucks different then all you guys mine would smack 35 and it would go higher with fuel screw 3 turns only idk my just wants to run i guess

· Registered
250 Posts
I had 17 PSI and 1050* all stock. 21cm/IC/5 speed truck...

· Registered
2,023 Posts
all stock on the 93 15psi and 700deg. with minor pump tweaks im at 17psi and 850deg, and thats standing on it.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
stock injectors and iv hit 45-50 psi and 1400 egt!!! with the stock h1c
and only 2 1/2 turns on the fuel screw??
havent tested the he351 yet but well have to see tonight hopfully!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.