Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how many quarts of oil does a 98.5 24v cummins take?

113K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Oilburner55 
#1 ·
im doing an oil change and not sure how much oil it takes?:confused013:

#3 ·
11 quarts for a oil and filter change. If you put 12 in it , it will be 1 quart overfull.

My old 12 valve takes 12 qts (3 gal), and I overfilled my 24 valve about 3 times before I figured it out.

#6 ·
I always do 12qts. 1 in the filter and 11 in the pan. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
does anyone make a bigger aluminum pan or am i going to have to get a custom one?i use 12 but would like more
Unless you are doing something really extreme with your truck, there's no need for that. 11-12 quarts is quite alot, most vehicles use only 4-5, and my Jeep(which I do push to the extreme) only uses 6.
But to answer your question, I'm sure someone could fab one for you($$$), or check with one of the diesel racing teams, there may be somebody selling higher-capacity pans.

#9 ·
any of y'all ever look at our pan? SOB ain't even half a inch deep where the front axle is, LOTS of room for a slightly deeper one, IF you make the front axle bumpstops longer...

in the many other applications of our motor, they run around 15 quarts in the crank case, i wish our version did too...

as for the OP's question:

11, 10 in the case, and 1 in the filter...:thumbsup:

#10 ·
any of y'all ever look at our pan? SOB ain't even half a inch deep where the front axle is, LOTS of room for a slightly deeper one, IF you make the front axle bumpstops longer...

in the many other applications of our motor, they run around 15 quarts in the crank case, i wish our version did too...

as for the OP's question:

11, 10 in the case, and 1 in the filter...:thumbsup:
I sure as heck don't! That chit aint cheap to change! And yes I do it myself.

#12 ·
I put in 3 gallons, brings it up right below the full mark on the dipstick. That and someone had chalked 12 qts on the fan shroud before I got the truck.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
That's what mine does. I noticed the dipstick is different in mine from the ones I have seen in 2 '98's and a '99. I think ours do take 12. I'll have to check the manual.

#20 ·
I would not run more than the recommended 11 quart total on a factory stock truck that has the stock pan and filter system, more is not always better... Too much oil can bathe the crank too deeply and this condition can and does cause a lot of aeration in the oil and is very bad for bearings... This goes for all engines, be it Diesel or gas... I have spoken with a very reknown crank/rod/piston/cam/rocker maker and a Mobil 1 consultant and they spoke in no uncertain terms about their feelings on this... Cummins and petroleum engineers aren't substandard, and if they thought 12 or more quarts would've been better then You can rest assured they would have required so... They want their engine to last as long as possible... I'm not trying to be a big shot, but I have seen few engines that has scorched bearings due to this very topic... I'm passionate about engine longevity, mine and others...

#25 ·
i need the full 3 gallons and 2 quarts to get it in the top of safe zone

#30 ·
Old thread but I read if you run more than the recommended oil capacity that it would force oil out the front main seal or the front breather. Don't know if this is true or not. It's an old thread but my 2nd gen is new to me lol.

#31 ·
Obviously everyone has thier opinion on the matter, but if you over fill it then its going to just end up all over the front of you engine after it overflows your puke bottle. When I drain mine I let it sit from anywhere from an hour to half a day to get every last bit of junk out of it. I always put 12 in it becuase thats where I get the best reading on the dipstick. If I only needed 11 I would just put 11 in. Are the people that put 11 in letting their truck drain all the old oil out? I hear people saying their oil is black after the first hundred miles or so. I run mobile delvac and dont see black oil till after about 2k miles.

#32 ·
I work for an oil company, and synthetic is not required or needed unless specified by the manufacturer, our trucks where designed to run regular oil, adding too much oil actually hurts the engine, robs horsepower, and foams up, causing it not to lube anything, 11 quarts is the maximum, walmart sells rotella in 2.5 gallon jugs, and mopar filters, i keep some spare quarts to top off, i use the 1 quart for the filter cause its easier to pour, and pour the jug in the crankcase. The manufacturer calls for 11, so i don't have any idea why anyone would just keep adding.

Reactions: Gunnersmate621
#33 ·
Mrclean obviously has never changed one. it is eleven every time including filter.

#35 ·
You got me, I've never changed my oil.
Bigfish95971 obviously doesn't know how to read.......Go back and reread the post. I was replying to the thread hijacker above my post. His question is even quoted inside my post......

#34 ·
These 2nd gens don't turn black as fast as the 3rd gens 04.5-07. They have a 3 pulse injection event and no matter what the oil is black as Buckwheat after a couple cycles of the motor. Only thing that helps is a oil by-pass kit.

#36 ·
In my owners manuel it says 11 quarts. I just add a 2.5 gallon jug of Rotella (10 quarts) and a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer :thumbsup: .

#37 ·
11 qts...there are different year model dipsticks....amsoil....the heavy duty marine oil which is 100% synthetic..and fs2500..only way to go...i know folks with 55,000 miles with lab reports saying..keep on truckin:drool2:..with the fs2500 1 to 2 qts. more tho.:thumbsup:

#38 ·
The newer trucks take 12. Atleast the 6.7 does. I put 11.5 quarts in my 1999 5.9 and its over the full mark. 12 on the 6.7 is right on the money. Not sure if the oil pans are different, but I know the older trucks have a different length dipstick.

#39 ·
Cmon guys guys, look how big the area is in the oil pan, (volume ) how much more will the volume be raised by an extra qt?
Maybe a 1/2 inch?
Maybe.
Most of us run around with 12 qts in.....I dont think the engine cares too much.

#41 ·
Cmon guys guys, look how big the area is in the oil pan, (volume ) how much more will the volume be raised by an extra qt?
Maybe a 1/2 inch?
Maybe.
Most of us run around with 12 qts in.....I dont think the engine cares too much.
How far above the oil is the crankshaft? Does the oil stay towards the back of the pan where the drain plug is or does it go into the flat part along the top? That's the question.

#40 ·
PS Gelling and other fuel issues do not usually throw codes except if the VP or ECM go bad.

#42 ·
You will have to ponder the answer, or pull your pan and add an extra QT and see.
I will bet there is plenty of room.