Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how many quarts of oil does a 98.5 24v cummins take?

103982 Views 36 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  Blue2003
im doing an oil change and not sure how much oil it takes?:confused013:
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Mule Barn Proprietor
11,778 Posts
11 quarts for a oil and filter change. If you put 12 in it , it will be 1 quart overfull.

My old 12 valve takes 12 qts (3 gal), and I overfilled my 24 valve about 3 times before I figured it out.

· Registered
461 Posts
I always do 12qts. 1 in the filter and 11 in the pan. :thumbsup:

· Crayola spokesperson
6,407 Posts
does anyone make a bigger aluminum pan or am i going to have to get a custom one?i use 12 but would like more...sorry didnt mean to hijack the thread...

· Banned
399 Posts
does anyone make a bigger aluminum pan or am i going to have to get a custom one?i use 12 but would like more
Unless you are doing something really extreme with your truck, there's no need for that. 11-12 quarts is quite alot, most vehicles use only 4-5, and my Jeep(which I do push to the extreme) only uses 6.
But to answer your question, I'm sure someone could fab one for you($$$), or check with one of the diesel racing teams, there may be somebody selling higher-capacity pans.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
any of y'all ever look at our pan? SOB ain't even half a inch deep where the front axle is, LOTS of room for a slightly deeper one, IF you make the front axle bumpstops longer...

in the many other applications of our motor, they run around 15 quarts in the crank case, i wish our version did too...

as for the OP's question:

11, 10 in the case, and 1 in the filter...:thumbsup:

· Registered
461 Posts
any of y'all ever look at our pan? SOB ain't even half a inch deep where the front axle is, LOTS of room for a slightly deeper one, IF you make the front axle bumpstops longer...

in the many other applications of our motor, they run around 15 quarts in the crank case, i wish our version did too...

as for the OP's question:

11, 10 in the case, and 1 in the filter...:thumbsup:
I sure as heck don't! That chit aint cheap to change! And yes I do it myself.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
I sure as heck don't! That chit aint cheap to change! And yes I do it myself.
especially when ya run synthetic Rotella that costs about 20 bucks a gallon...:shock::doh:

BUT, if we had the bigger capacity, the oil would last longer, which would pay itself off eventually maybe right?:confused013:

· Registered
851 Posts
I put in 3 gallons, brings it up right below the full mark on the dipstick. That and someone had chalked 12 qts on the fan shroud before I got the truck.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I put in 3 gallons, brings it up right below the full mark on the dipstick. That and someone had chalked 12 qts on the fan shroud before I got the truck.:thumbsup:
That's what mine does. I noticed the dipstick is different in mine from the ones I have seen in 2 '98's and a '99. I think ours do take 12. I'll have to check the manual.

· Registered
851 Posts
That's what mine does. I noticed the dipstick is different in mine from the ones I have seen in 2 '98's and a '99. I think ours do take 12. I'll have to check the manual.
Now do you fill the filter before you put it back on, or do you let the oil pump do the work? Just curious cause I do fill mine and just that takes quite a bit!

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Now do you fill the filter before you put it back on, or do you let the oil pump do the work? Just curious cause I do fill mine and just that takes quite a bit!

Always fill it.

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
There are 2 different dipsticks. The newer 2nd gen trucks came with a longer dipstick and tube to read full at 12 qts. I always put 12 in and it reads over but it doesnt leak anywhere.

· Registered
384 Posts
especially when ya run synthetic Rotella that costs about 20 bucks a gallon...:shock::doh:

BUT, if we had the bigger capacity, the oil would last longer, which would pay itself off eventually maybe right?:confused013:
Get a FS2500. Ive got 5000 on this oil change and the oil is still nice and honey brown. The filter will also allow to run about 1.5-2 quarts more. With this system, you should be able to go 15k on a oil change. I plan on going to syn rotella t on my next change. With these extended drain intervals, you will make up the diff so you can afford to run syn oil.

· Registered
262 Posts
I would not run more than the recommended 11 quart total on a factory stock truck that has the stock pan and filter system, more is not always better... Too much oil can bathe the crank too deeply and this condition can and does cause a lot of aeration in the oil and is very bad for bearings... This goes for all engines, be it Diesel or gas... I have spoken with a very reknown crank/rod/piston/cam/rocker maker and a Mobil 1 consultant and they spoke in no uncertain terms about their feelings on this... Cummins and petroleum engineers aren't substandard, and if they thought 12 or more quarts would've been better then You can rest assured they would have required so... They want their engine to last as long as possible... I'm not trying to be a big shot, but I have seen few engines that has scorched bearings due to this very topic... I'm passionate about engine longevity, mine and others...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.