Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how many hrs to install cam with head off and kdp cover off

1516 18
ok so ill be pulling my head off to do gasket and springs and studs
i will also be doing my KDP at the same time
how many more hours will it be to do a cam at the same time?
i was told like 5 hrs on top of the head removal and front cover removal witch seems crazy to me any input would be great sense i need to make a choice asap sense i will still need to buy a cam and get it here
and i dont think 500$ in extra work sounds right sense its right there

chubs
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,028 Posts
well i know it is like 11hr's to do it without all that stuff off........the head doesn't really make any difference, just the rockers and push rods. It's the time it takes to remove basically the front of the truck. ........ bumper, rad , intercooler etc etc. i'd say 4-5hrs would be realistic

· Registered
68 Posts
Been there done it myself, twice. The cam change can be kind of time consuming. Changing out the lifters is what makes it challenging. I was so nervous about having a lifter fall into the oil pan :shock:

Also I would never consider doing a cam change with the head on. 5 hours seems very reasonable to me.

I know it can be done but why make it even harder to do :stirpot:

· Registered
1,028 Posts
hahaha yea i'v done it with the head on......its not much fun! did you have the tray that slides in place of the cam for changing the lifters? you definatly have to hold your breath when you pull that tray out though!

· Registered
1,739 Posts
3-4 hours out the door with no problem for cam and tappets, the "tray" is nothing more than a piece of plastic pipe cut in half. i really see no need to replace tapets.

· Registered
42 Posts
5hrs sounds about right. As long as they are replacing the tappets also. If not then about 1hr to change just the cam shaft. Fishing new tappets into place is time consuming like mentioned before.

$500 extra labor is definately high though. That's $100 an hour.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok but like i said the heads coming off any ways so thats aready gone for studs and new gasket and springs
front cover has to come off for kdp at the same time he's charging me 500$ for the head work and kdp fix togather

but i was thinking hell ur that far into it that i would do a cam
front end is already apart for kdp because thats how he does them i would just do it from the top but i can work in tight places he bigger then me

he wants another 500$ on top of my 500$ FOR HEAD AND KDP fix
to remove and place a new cam into the block
sounds like a rip to me because it should not take 5 hrs to pull a cam and tappets definitly not when heads all ready off

what do u guys think ???

· Registered
42 Posts
The head being off really doesn't change the amount of time it takes to change the cam and tappets. Only thing that needs to be removed from the top side is the rockers and push tubes. I've done them with and without the head on and it really makes no difference IMO.

I would'nt be to upset though if I was you. Being charged $500 for a head gasket and KDP fix is a hell of a deal

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i know all about lifters and tappets not my first rodeo
just new to the diesel game thats why im having it done

· Registered
1,028 Posts
ok but like i said the heads coming off any ways so thats aready gone for studs and new gasket and springs
front cover has to come off for kdp at the same time he's charging me 500$ for the head work and kdp fix togather

but i was thinking hell ur that far into it that i would do a cam
front end is already apart for kdp because thats how he does them i would just do it from the top but i can work in tight places he bigger then me

he wants another 500$ on top of my 500$ FOR HEAD AND KDP fix
to remove and place a new cam into the block
sounds like a rip to me because it should not take 5 hrs to pull a cam and tappets definitly not when heads all ready off

what do u guys think ???
he has the bumper, intercooler, rad , all off the truck to do a KDP? i dont know why he would do that but if he does then yes it is just a minor job to change.

its not a hard job, just labour intensive.........especially if your doing the tappets!
whats the shop rate there? in canada all the diesel shops are $92 or more.......so here $500 is pretty fair

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not really a shop just a guy who builds diesel his rate is all over the place its by the job
he says he cant do the kdp from up to he's to big so he has to do it from front of the truck

· Registered
1,028 Posts
:confused013: i dunno $500 for a head job and KDP seems like not enough? anyone else have some opinions?

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok for the fourth time
the front clip will already be off for him to do the kdp he cannot do it from the top he's to big he does it from the front
so now that the whole front clip is off the truck and timing cover is off for kdp and the head is off as well
how much longer should it take to remove old cam and install a new one
remember the front clip is all ready off

· Registered
1,028 Posts
ok, well then no probably not fair......i'd say it would be another 2hr's or so......but you said he's doin the head job and KDP for 500 and that seems like a really good deal......so even if he charged you another $500 for the cam install i'd say you still come out somewhere in the range at what any other shop is gunna charge you....does that make any sence?

i think even if you pay him 500 to do the cam your still gunna come out on top :thumbsup:

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea makes sense i just knew that he told me that it was like 18 hrs for the total cam job with out doing any other work
and i called bull sh!t on it when he said about 6 hrs of work more when every thing was tore apart all ready just to install a cam and i did my home work and seen that the biggest problem is the tapets not like u have to remove the rear timing plate and gears and so fourth so i was just trying to fig out if it would be cheaper then what he said because i really dont have 1100 for a cam install may be like 700 or 800 yea but money is tight

· Registered
30 Posts
Its really pretty simple, if you don't like his price and trust someone else call them and get a price, if its cheaper use them. It doesn't seem like too bad a deal, he might make some good money if it all goes right but... If it seems so easy, do it yourself.

· Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i will do it blind folded and not rape some one telling them its 10 hrs of work when its 2 thats called bad business
all i asked was how many more hours is it not if its a good deal or not
i have built plenty of very high horse power pro mod engines im sure i can fig out how a few steel blanks go in for tappets but when u have spent in the thousands with some one u learn to trust them but now im not so sure that would be the reason for the queston not is it a great deal note the titel

how many hrs to install cam with head off and kdp cover off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.