Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How Loud is it?

1464 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  terb
I am getting ready and doing allthe reading i can regarding my deletes. Kinda leaning towards the H&S tuner delete with the extra egr delete. My concern is how noisy is it? The 1st truck i testdrove was a 05 5.9 with a catback system that thing was way too loud almost didnt think i was going to be able to talk mama into a diesel after that.:whip: I want to do the deletes for sure but how do i keep this thing from being crazy loud:shock:
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Reconnaissance Expert
1,718 Posts
well go straight pipe on the downpipe and the delete section. Throw in a good diesel muffler and it should stay pretty quiet.

· Premium Member
527 Posts
I have a 4" turbo back (no muffler or resonator) on my truck and its really tame at idle or just cruising. There is a drone inside the truck above 2,000 rpm's. Not obnoxious, but noticeable.

It comes ALIVE when you go WOT. These trucks are loud like a 5.9, but are a completely different sound. Less "tractor" like if that makes sense, but still loud when you get on it.

· Premium Member
10,174 Posts
well go straight pipe on the downpipe and the delete section. Throw in a good diesel muffler and it should stay pretty quiet.
I agree. If noise will be a concern invest in a good muffler. As fas as the sound of the exhaust, what one guy considers quiet the other may consider loud.

James
RSD

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. If noise will be a concern invest in a good muffler. As fas as the sound of the exhaust, what one guy considers quiet the other may consider loud.

James
RSD
not reayy concerned what one guy thinks just THIS guys wife:lol4: James what kind of muffler would you recomend and how much do they run. thanks guys

· 700hp Club
2,197 Posts
I have a 2004(5.9) with a 4" MBRP TBE with the MBRP muffler, it is loud but not near as bad as my 2001 was. when i went to the 07(6.7) and installed the H&S Gen1 5" it was half as quiet again as the 2004. Off the line or low speeds it does drone a little (still quieter than the 04) but at highway speeds it is as quiet as it was stock. i like that because i use the bluetooth hands free phone alot and didn't want a noisy cab.

· Premium Member
298 Posts
When I did the DPF and the nox filter delete it got a bit louder. (4")
Then I removed the downpipe... got a bit louder again.(Still 4")

I left the stock muffler in place since new.

When at or near 1000 or 2000 rpm, then drone is much louder.

This weekend I removed the EGR cooler completely.
Now it's a bit too much...
Lots of drone at 1000 or 2000 rpm.
My wife is ready to kill me.
We both can't believe how much louder it is.

I still have the stock muffler on,
Does anyone have experience with an Aero Turbine?
Need to find something to get the sound level down.
Keithstef

· Registered
2,797 Posts
When I did the DPF and the nox filter delete it got a bit louder. (4")
Then I removed the downpipe... got a bit louder again.(Still 4")

I left the stock muffler in place since new.

When at or near 1000 or 2000 rpm, then drone is much louder.

This weekend I removed the EGR cooler completely.
Now it's a bit too much...
Lots of drone at 1000 or 2000 rpm.
My wife is ready to kill me.
We both can't believe how much louder it is.

I still have the stock muffler on,
Does anyone have experience with an Aero Turbine?
Need to find something to get the sound level down.
Keithstef
the aero will be much louder than the stock muffler although the aero4040xl (resonated) should kill the drone.

Im running a non-resonated with a cat and its pretty loud outside when you get on it, sweet inside..... no drone

· Second Most Important Member
2,027 Posts
i did the deletes over the weekend and my wife wont tollerate a loud or droning truck either. so that being said i was surprised at how quiet the truck was with a cat/dpf deleted and with the dodge resonator in place. when you romp on it it does get louder but not too loud. the part my wife didnt like was when the truck was at idle when it sounds like a jet. i think youll be ok with the same set up as me. i also installed the canuck intake horn and with the truck up to temp and a warm day it really whistles almost to the point that i thought i had a boost leak. no leak though just noticable air being crammed into the intake.

· Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I was going to install a stock cat back off me 2006 5.9 I have behind the garage but now i'm selling my 2008 and buying a low mileage 2006.........:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.