Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Got 4 1/2 yrs on our originals in Ca. Mild climate, 5 miles as a crow flys from the Cool Pacific. Extreme hot or cold shortens battery life. Depends on where you hang your hat. Replaced ours with Bosch AGM’s after a no start with the stockers. Time will tell with the AGM’s.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Somebody ask back some threads if there is a live port. Yes there is. There are about 2 power outlets. One of for a a lighter if ordered and is on with the key only. the other is a "power outlet" and is on all the time. These can be used for for any lighter plug accessories except lighters, like air pumps, chargers, etc. They also should be good for battery savers like solar etc. Maintenance over long periods, not charging.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My left outlet shuts off with the key, my right outlet stays on with the key off.
I love the simple set up of my tradesman.
I love that I can go get groceries, and not have to go right home. And the batts, don't die wile using the dc cooler, with truck shut off.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I checked my batteries today after the truck has been sitting for 3 days. I checked them separately after unhooking the cables. One was at 12.71 volts and the other was at 12.72 volts. Does that sound like a normal voltage for sitting 3 days? They are the original 2017 batteries.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I checked my batteries today after the truck has been sitting for 3 days. I checked them separately after unhooking the cables. One was at 12.71 volts and the other was at 12.72 volts. Does that sound like a normal voltage for sitting 3 days? They are the original 2017 batteries.
12.7x volts indicates a fully charged battery (100%). To get an accurate reading, the battery has to be under zero load, and not have any remaining charge voltage. By disconnecting the batteries and waiting 3 days (since running the engine) you've met both requirements.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
You checked them for voltage, but that doesn't make for a good measure of their health, they need to be load tested.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You checked them for voltage, but that doesn't make for a good measure of their health, they need to be load tested.
Good point. Is there a procedure I can do without having to take the batteries to my local auto parts store? I don't have a load tester only a mutimeter.
Maybe unhook one battery at a time and turn on as many electronics as possible for xxxx amount of time and see how the voltage drops without starting truck?

·
Go Packers
6,213 Posts
Last time I had batteries load tested at Auto zone, I remarked about that being a good thing to have on hand. (meaning the load tester) The employee replied, they are pretty expensive for the average owner to go purchase. I wish I had inquired as to what the price was. He made it sound as if they are fairly expensive.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good point. Is there a procedure I can do without having to take the batteries to my local auto parts store? I don't have a load tester only a mutimeter.
Maybe unhook one battery at a time and turn on as many electronics as possible for xxxx amount of time and see how the voltage drops without starting truck?
Nope, afraid not.

Are you having suspected battery issues?

You can go lots of places to get the batteries load tested.

Do you have a Batteries Plus store anywhere around your area?

Many mechanic shops will check them for free, hoping you will buy some batteries from them.

Tire stores like NTB can check them as well.

And, you don't need to take just the batteries to get tested, take your truck and just disconnect one battery when you get there before testing them.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts