Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hard to come to any conclusion without thorough understanding of the usage and maintenance schedule. I suspect that one of the main reasons the factory batteries last longer than most (?) is because the truck is typically new and everything works as it should.

I have to wonder though: Are factory batteries of higher quality? If they are, everyone should purchase at the dealer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Agreed on lowest bidder. No different than Walmart. You can have lowest bidder with more stringent specs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the only goal is to have them get through the initial warranty. ;)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Not in my opinion. They're probably supplied by the lowest bidder.
They're gonna be the lowest that meets the OEM requirements. Which hardy means they're junk.

Suppliers will sell these items at or below cost to get their name out there. Advertising is one of the most expensive parts of being in business.

What better way than to have millions of your tires, with your name plastered all over them, on the road?

If they're a decent product, the original owner is likely to replace them with like kind and quality from the same manufacturer.

Which, for the supplier, he seriously wants to make sure he's putting a good product on the truck.

Unless they are frankly incapable of making a good product. In which case they will go the way of the Dodo Bird. Which is a now-extinct bird that flew in decreasingly concentric circles until he disappeared up his own butt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would wager they put a lot more value in getting an OEM contract than after-the-fact sales. I don't know, I remember a span of a few years where I replaced a dozen factory batteries in everything from personal and company vehicles to ATV's and UTV's. Polaris batteries are particularly crappy. The original battery in my 2012 Charger is a surprise. The bad one in my 2016 Ram is not. By contrast, I had the same Optima red top in my `04 Chevy about 10yrs and it's probably still in it. Factory battery croaked after 2yrs. Maybe things are different now but to me, it's a safer assumption that factory batteries are the cheapest possible than that they are actually good.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine just went out after just over 4.5 years. Replaced with normal batteries as the closest advanced Auto didn't have 2 AGM when I showed up. I would have went with AGM. Needed it fixed immediately as I was helping family move into a new house and it wouldn't start randomly after eating lunch. But worked with a jump.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Deleted, information was incorrect.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I read on one of the battery maintainer product websites that because the batteries in our trucks are connected in series one should attach any charger to the positive of one battery and the negative to the other battery. That makes sense to me. Connecting a charger to only one battery is not the correct method.
Wrong, they are NOT connected in series. They are parallel. Doesn't matter which battery you hook up a charger to.

Reactions: URDiesel

·
Registered
24 Posts
My factory batteries are 6 years old. ('13) what are your experiences with their expected lifespan? Any brand-favorites for replacement? I've never had a vehicle where I'll need to buy 2 at once. 😕
On my 2015 I got 2 years out of my factory batteries and 2.5 out of Napa AGM's about 25 K every 2 years. Phoenix heat kills them quick.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wrong, they are NOT connected in series. They are parallel. Doesn't matter which battery you hook up a charger to..
Well then I stand corrected. The post with bad info will be deleted.z

·
Registered
13 Posts
2014 batteries no issues yet

My factory batteries are 6 years old. ('13) what are your experiences with their expected lifespan? Any brand-favorites for replacement? I've never had a vehicle where I'll need to buy 2 at once. 😕
Still using the stock batteries in my 2014, no problems yet If I can consistently get 5+ good years out of stock batteries I don't see why I would need to upgrade. I usually run interstate for all my replacement batteries.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
4 years/ 75k miles on the oem batteries. No issues. Replaced them simply for preventative maintenance because of a cross country trip. Replaced with Bosch Platinum AGM series. 2 yrs/55k more miles on these and working fine. Pretty much a daily driver. Doesn't sit much.

·
Registered
325 Posts
2015, 86,000ish miles on truck, batts, are 5yrs and 4 months old to date, still crank good. I use a dc cooler when shopping so I don't have to go home from store if I don't want to. The dc cooler running 2-3 hours in truck and the thing still fires right up like nothing. It only had 2 winters, and don't see over 90 degrees.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
2015, 86,000ish miles on truck, batts, are 5yrs and 4 months old to date, still crank good. I use a dc cooler when shopping so I don't have to go home from store if I don't want to. The dc cooler running 2-3 hours in truck and the thing still fires right up like nothing. It only had 2 winters, and don't see over 90 degrees.
Which outlet do you use?

When my truck is turned off, the one I use goes off with the truck. Is there a 'live' outlet in these??

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Which outlet do you use?

When my truck is turned off, the one I use goes off with the truck. Is there a 'live' outlet in these??
There are two positions in the fuse box for the power outlet fuse, in one power is off when the key is off, in the other position it stays hot even with the key off.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My factory batteries are 6 years old. ('13) what are your experiences with their expected lifespan? Any brand-favorites for replacement? I've never had a vehicle where I'll need to buy 2 at once.
Batteries in our '16 Cummins lasted 3 years, 5 months. They died at an RV campground (a few months ago) in Moab UT, at 5am, just as we were getting ready to head out on a much anticipated hike. Initially I was pissed. That was before my wife reminded me they could have died the day before---when we were miles away from the nearest cell signal, in the middle of nowhere in Monument Valley.

Fortunately, we were able to purchase a pair of H7/94R AGM's at an O'Reilly's, in Moab, that morning for $375 OTD. Only store in Moab that had 'em in stock. Glad they did, 'cause our plan B would have required a 110 mi. drive (in a rental car) to a Walmart in Grand Junction CO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The battery talk is interesting. The Mopar lead acid batteries in my 2009 truck went 9 years. When they went bad I priced out AGM's. Very pricey compared to quality aftermarket lead acid batteries. We will see how lucky I am with the second set. My riding lawn mower takes a car sized lead acid battery. The last one (deka) went 9 years 11 months. Riding lawn mower sits from November thru April without any charger. My truck will sit for a month at a time (garaged) in the winter without a charger. Lucky I guess. My brother's 2012 2500 only got 4 years from the Mopar OEM AGM's in his truck.
The small business where I purchase my after market batteries did explain to me the different specs on batteries. He tells me those spec'd by Caterpillar or John Deere are a battery made to better specifications for vibration/heavy off road use. I have also been getting about 4 to 5 years from the 12v deep cycles in my travel trailer. I got a deal on some used 6v golf cart batteries so I converted the travel trailer to these. I'm curious how long these will last since they are supposed to be made tougher than a standard 12v deep cycle.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts