Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory batteries are 6 years old. ('13) what are your experiences with their expected lifespan? Any brand-favorites for replacement? I've never had a vehicle where I'll need to buy 2 at once. 😕

·
Registered
610 Posts
I think you are fortunate. I’d be looking for a pair of new AGM’s soon. These trucks do odd things when the batteries go. I’ve heard of people getting 2-3 yrs with the stock batteries. Depends where you live and where it’s parked. Heat is tough on em. I got 4.5 yrs on mine.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Mine never showed a hint of failing till last month. Purchased truck new in October of 2015. I assume I never saw a hint of failure cause they are either good or not

·
Go Packers
6,015 Posts
I took delivery of my truck in Aug. 2012.

August of 2018 I replaced both batteries. I had no symptoms of them going bad. Purchased new ones for more of the peace of mind of not having an issue in the middle of nowhere. I replaced mine with Duralast Gold H7-DLG.

When both batteries were taken out, I asked for them to be tested. Both tested bad. Guess I lucked out with having no issues.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
My factory batteries are 6 years old. ('13) what are your experiences with their expected lifespan? Any brand-favorites for replacement? I've never had a vehicle where I'll need to buy 2 at once. 😕

Pure luck that they have lasted this long.

Name brand AGM batteries are the only way to go. I have duracell's from sam's, but there are a few other brands, just buy them where it will be convenient to get them serviced if they go belly up in warranty.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I picked up my 2012 in August of 2011 and in 2015 I had to replace them. So about 4 years. No signs of them being bad, just one day truck didn't start.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 2015 still has original batteries in it. I'm thinking next spring I'll replace them for SnGs since I tow alot and don't want to have problems on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They put interstate batteries in all the ambulances here. That’s what I put in the truck also. Pricy but seem to work very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
They put interstate batteries in all the ambulances here. That’s what I put in the truck also. Pricy but seem to work very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You think they are pricy? They were only about 10 more a piece then oriellys

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brought home my 2015 on August 1 of that year. No signs of problems yet, knock on wood!

Fast forward 1 month. The truck is suddenly cranking slower; batteries have 4 years and 1 month on them. I should say had. I replaced them with regular flooded cell Duracells from Sams.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
I had one go at 34 months, dealer replaced ONE. Then the other one went a year later, I replaced both with Interstates.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The battery in my 2013 is factory and healthy as are the two in my 2015. I probably just jinxed myself.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just had to replace the ones in my 2017 2 weeks ago, truck has 24000 miles on it Never gave me any clue that they were going bad until one morning I came out and got nothing but a click when trying to start it. Jumped the truck, took it to work and tested both batteries and one was bad so I put in 2 Napa Legend AGM batteries.

·
Registered
800 Posts
did any of yall check the water level on your batteries during the time you had them before they went bad?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Food for thought. IIRC, there are about 3 lead acid battery manufacturers left in the world. Found this info for interstate. Again, just food for thought.

"Interstate sold out (or are now made in Mexico) which really affected their performance. I did some pretty extensive research last year when my battery died and the best was Deka Intimadator. AGM. Made in PA I believe. Advance Auto parts relabels it and sells it under their name."

·
Registered
145 Posts
FWIW: Try not to install a new battery on a vehicle without bench charging at low amperage for 24 hours *if you can*. The instant high amperage send to the battery via alternator can warp the plates. Like oil in a new engine, look at it like "priming the battery". Lol

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Food for thought. IIRC, there are about 3 lead acid battery manufacturers left in the world. Found this info for interstate. Again, just food for thought.

"Interstate sold out (or are now made in Mexico) which really affected their performance. I did some pretty extensive research last year when my battery died and the best was Deka Intimadator. AGM. Made in PA I believe. Advance Auto parts relabels it and sells it under their name."
Yes, Deka batteries are made in PA. I used to buy stuff at their wholesale store.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My '99 CTD had the stock batteries till 2015 when I replaced them just because. Then like a dumas I traded it in on my '16.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bought my 2015 in October of 2014, batteries just died on me 3 weeks ago (on vacation of course), so almost 5 years. No symptoms at all, just wouldn't start one morning.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts