Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So according to my door panel my gvwr is 1000lbs. My truck has aftermarket bags and I am looking to add a rack to put a side by side above the bed rails but the SxS is 1300lbs. I am wondering what is the weak link in the 2500 is that keeps the gvwr so low? My truck can easily handle well over 1000lbs in it with no air in the bags even.

·
Registered
13 Posts
GVWR is Curb weight plus payload. Its Based on GAWR front and rear. Like they say payload is GVWR minus curb weight.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
So according to my door panel my gvwr is 1000lbs. My truck has aftermarket bags and I am looking to add a rack to put a side by side above the bed rails but the SxS is 1300lbs. I am wondering what is the weak link in the 2500 is that keeps the gvwr so low? My truck can easily handle well over 1000lbs in it with no air in the bags even.
I think you mean 10,000 GVWR, suspension is your factor for how much weight you can carry in your bed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2013 3500 SRW crew cab long bed. I haul a 2016 RZR XP Turbo and a RZR 900S on the truck and in the toy hauler. I just went from a home made flat sled deck type rack to a Marlon over the cab style.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
My mega cab 2500 4x4 I had 6.4L could only carry like 3200 lbs on the truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heres a few pics for ideas. Payload is GVWR minus curb weight. And GVWR comes from combined GAWR (Gross Axle Wieght Rating).

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Heres a few pics for ideas
My man, good looking toys! You need a toy hauler.
And yes on the rear axle/springs/tires minus the truck weight. And location of the weight. More weight ahead of rear axle centerline. Air bags enhance the quality of tow weight. They do not allow for exceeding axle limits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
That actually is a toyhauler. That's my Turbo RZR on the truck. Her RZR S 900 is in the trailer, lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heres a few pics for ideas. Payload is GVWR minus curb weight. And GVWR comes from combined GAWR (Gross Axle Wieght Rating).
I’d like to do something similar but my truck is a 2500. It’s currently leveled on 37” grabber x3’s and nitro 4.30 gears. I have a travel trailer that’s about 8000 dry so I’m assuming 8400ish loaded. Pretty sure with firewood, fuel etc I would be well over 10,000lbs and around 2500 over the rear axel with a two seat rzr.

Also what rack is that your using for your rzr? Would it fit a 72” wide rig on it?

·
Registered
14,175 Posts
GVWR does not come from the GAWR, your truck's GAWR is more than the GVWR.

As to the 10,000 GVWR on the 2500, it is just an arbitrary number assigned to it to keep it below the commercial truck rating of 10,001 pounds.

The 2500 is capable of handling a lot more than it is rated for.

It's mostly all a numbers game, the only thing you have to watch is the load rating on the tires, don't exceed that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So your saying there’s a chance?!? Lol.

Running e rates tires that are rated for about 4000lbs. Truck is at 8700 dry. Trailer at about 8k and a toy in the bed about 1500lbs. I know the truck will pull it power wise fine but just making sure it will be safe.

GVWR does not come from the GAWR, your truck's GAWR is more than the GVWR.

As to the 10,000 GVWR on the 2500, it is just an arbitrary number assigned to it to keep it below the commercial truck rating of 10,001 pounds.

The 2500 is capable of handling a lot more than it is rated for.

It's mostly all a numbers game, the only thing you have to watch is the load rating on the tires, don't exceed that.

·
Registered
14,175 Posts
So your saying there’s a chance?!? Lol.

Running e rates tires that are rated for about 4000lbs. Truck is at 8700 dry. Trailer at about 8k and a toy in the bed about 1500lbs. I know the truck will pull it power wise fine but just making sure it will be safe.
You would have to load it all up and weigh it, then it's up to you as to what you feel comfortable with.

No manufacturer is going to go for anything over what they rate it at.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Yes it will be safe. No question.
If this is still intriguing, there are about 1 million internet discussions, some that get quite heated, on the subject.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts

Ram 2500’s are class 2 trucks and therefore have a cap of 10,000 lbs gvwr. It’s because of old outdated laws that need to be updated.

FYI, gm’s new 2500 is rated at 11,300 lbs which now puts it in the class 3 category of truck. I bet ferd and ram follow this path soon with there diesel equipped trucks.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
And it will cost them some sales. Ins. expense goes up and you can run into licensing upgrades. My buddy just bought a 2500 for that very reason. A 3500 SRW would have put his combination into class A territory.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
GVWR is a Federal DOT weight rating. Much of which is made up from Tea Leaves and Owl's entrails.

It has more to do with licensing fees, emissions, etc, than it does with actual weight/load capability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_classification

https://afdc.energy.gov/data/10380

It's a good starting point, but that's about it. If you're afraid of actually using your truck, then you should obey all the goobermint's instructions, re-cycle, don't pollute, let the TV and goobermint schools raise your children, obey Big Brother at all times, and....

Just buy a hybrid and be done with it :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
And it will cost them some sales. Ins. expense goes up and you can run into licensing upgrades. My buddy just bought a 2500 for that very reason. A 3500 SRW would have put his combination into class A territory.
From what I've read so far, I'm not sure it will. It sounds like you have a choice on what GVWR you can get. If you need 10k, you can get it. If you don't you can now get a higher GVWR in the 2500 and not have to get a 3500.

·
Registered
13,360 Posts
From what I've read so far, I'm not sure it will. It sounds like you have a choice on what GVWR you can get. If you need 10k, you can get it. If you don't you can now get a higher GVWR in the 2500 and not have to get a 3500.
Now that you mention it, I had a choice of three GVWRs when ordering my 3500.
One could have been as low as 10K, but don't take my word for it.

·
Registered
19,391 Posts
Please rewrite with correct terminology and eliminate some abbreviations. You do not have a 1000lb GVWR probably 10.000lb grew. Load rating varies with available weight and how it is loaded. Load Rating for a Camper is always a lot less than for gravel in bottom of the bed. There are charts available showing such.

Raising up a vehicle like that in back is like loading a high camper loses the available load rating due to roll over stability.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Ding ding ding! You win!
This, IMO, is one of the primary reasons a 3/4 ton is such a big market. That and simple marketing skills. (Think about how many people say "My 1/2 ton isn't cutting it, but I don't need that big ole 1 ton...wow a 3/4 ton is just right!" and don't understand what they're buying)
It's real common in commercial vehicles. Properly equipped 2500 truck can do 95% of what a 3500 can do, but no DOT driver files required, can tow a 14-16k trailer with no CDL requirements, etc. NO DOT stickers needed in most states.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts