Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
im currently diagnosing a prollem with my truck getting hot while towing.

its a 96 3500 dually with an auto. unloaded the truck is fine. some searching turned up some info on the radiator getting ....... up by the crankcase breather,so in the next couple days ill take it out and clean it and see if that helps any :)

in the mean time,i was wondering how hot your trucks run,and what size loads your towing.

thanks! :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Towing 5300lbs with 1200lbs in bed of truck. 95 3/4 ton 4x4 EGT 800 degrees Engine 170+- Tranny 170+-

·
Registered
76 Posts
What temp are you talking about?

EGT will jump to 12-1300*F pulling a larger hill without backing out of the throtle some.
I would say on average highway speed pulling 10,000lbs 900-1000*F, trans = 180, water
<180*F.
Make sure you have a good air intake to keep cool air going in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What temp are you talking about?
sorry for the confusion,i was refering to coolant temp.

unloaded my coolant temp is fine,but with the trailer going up grades it will heat up. it will get to the 230 and prolly beyond if the grade is long enuff and i kept my foot in it.

my trailer and trail rig prolly weighs round 6000 lbs-definately not what id consider a heavy load for a cummins powered dually!

if i stop and let it idle it will cool back down,so im figuring at this point to have an airflow prollem.

thanks for the responses info thus far :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
unless your radiator is .......up on the inside a good cleaning of all the coolers will probably cure the problem. over time lots of junk can accumilate between the i/c and rad.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Do you have your fuel turned up at all?

Be interesting to see what the EGT's are..

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I would say check your fan clutch if it is starting to go out then it will not move enough air to cool with a load on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have your fuel turned up at all?

Be interesting to see what the EGT's are..
yes,it would. im going to get a monitor to keep track of boost,egt,etc.,but i dont have it yet.

the truck has had its injection pump and injectors rebuilt,and a new lift pump a couple years ago. the pump was supposedly turned up alittle,but since the truck has no gauges(and hasnt) im sure its not far from stock,since a very reputable local shop did the work.

if its been turned up more than i think it has,is it possible im having an EGT prollem thats increasin coolant temp?

guess ill have to put it into high gear to get my monitor ordered and installed :w:

on the fan clutch,its new,thats the first thing i did.

on the radiator,im hoping that will fix it,as i mentioned,i plan to take it out and give it a once over,prolly tomorrow monring :)

once again thanx for the info. i bought this truck to pull some heavey loads,so its very important to me to figure out whats wrong with it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
On my 01 CTD with 6 speed, I run around 180 all the time. The one tow I have done so far (9,000 Travel Trailer) the temp ran to 240 climbing a mountain, and cooled as soon as I was over the top. Have still to check the front of rad, behind aftercooler, but rad was full and I was running 45 so there should have been enought air without the fan being an issue.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My 01 tends to heat up a bit on hills when towing. I saw a pic in Diesel Power on an older 12 valve where they replaced the intercooler, and saw a semi circle of crud stuck to the radiator fins on the front of the rad, behind the intercooler. I inspected mine with a drop light and guess what, big pile of crud on the radiator in front of the fan.

I used a brush to remove what I could, and blasted the rad with compressed air from both sides. We have a trip coming up, I'll get a chance to test it.

Overheating while pulling usually means lack of heat rejection at the radiator. Overheating while idling usually means a bad fan clutch. At any speed over about 35 mph, the fan loses effectiveness and the airflow from movement is sufficient to cool the rad.

HTH.

Ops

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
if its been turned up more than i think it has,is it possible im having an EGT prollem thats increasin coolant temp?
An EGT reading would certainly help narrow things down, if there is any problem at all. Diesel get hot if you lug them down and let them grunt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

i removed my radiator this morning and found a fair amount of funk in the fins in the bottom half of it. i hosed it out and had high hopes of my prollem being fixed.

i hooked up the trailer and went for a test drive. again 230* by the top of the hill.

i ordered my monitor today so ill know boost,egt,etc.

any other ideas?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Water pump?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wont say that its NOT the waterpump. ive replaced the thermostat,but havent gone for a test tow yet to see if thats helped any.

closer inspection of the radiator innards revealed alot of scaly,funky white buildup,so im inclined to think i should repalce the radiator as the next step.

thanks again for the responses

·
Registered
119 Posts
Do you hear the fan coming on while pulling these grades? I had replaced a fan clutch on another truck once and it would not come on until it was too late. Turns out the part was mofidied somewhat from the original introduction. After 4 clutches, I finally got the right one that came on soon enough.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i wont say that its NOT the waterpump. ive replaced the thermostat,but havent gone for a test tow yet to see if thats helped any.

closer inspection of the radiator innards revealed alot of scaly,funky white buildup,so im inclined to think i should repalce the radiator as the next step.

thanks again for the responses
Acid flush or replace/recore (if anyone does that anymore.
should take care of it
Good Luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mrfixit454,i cant hear the clutch kicking in over the turbo,exhaust,and other wind noise. you must have super human hearing if you can! :)

an update on the situation,i think the waterpump is ok. the thermostat made a big impact. the grade that has been cauising the temp to creep up to 230 was only 190 on my test tow at the top. the other long grade ive been using for testing i charged up at WOT and the temp got alittle past 190,but didnt overheat. i have a feeling that cleaning out/replacing the core will helpo alittle also,but looks like the t stat was causing most of my prollem

thanx again everyone for the help :beer

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well when I had my hearing checked in 1990, they told me I heard sounds other people did not ;)

Anyway, it's tough to hear on my 06 Ram, it was easier to hear on my 01 ram, and it was blatantly loud on my 91 454 gasser.

Signs on the 06 are as the temp creeps up, I can barely hear the fan and when this happens, the temp drops alot immediately.

With any of these vehicles.. when the fan comes on (full lock)
the temp drops pretty fast.

Sounds like you are on your way now though. A radiator shop should be able to flow check it too.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I was having the same sort of problem with my first gen so I changed the fan clutch. Went with a NAPA clutch instead of a Dodge clutch. Worked fair for a few months than I had the same overheating problems again. Could not hear it turn on either. Put a new Dodge clutch in and the temp problem went away and there is no problem hearing it when it turns on. I have a hearing problem and can hear it very plainly when it turns on.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i removed my radiator this morning and found a fair amount of funk in the fins in the bottom half of it. i hosed it out and had high hopes of my prollem being fixed.

i hooked up the trailer and went for a test drive. again 230* by the top of the hill.

i ordered my monitor today so ill know boost,egt,etc.

any other ideas?
My experience has been that even with the exterior somwhat blocked it will still cool. I have had multiple vehicles getting warm when under load. I have either replaced the radiator, bought a new core and had a shop rebuild using my caps or had the radiator rodded out. My problems usually were water flow through the system. I usually try to have the radiator rebuilt with the highest core row count I can get.

Don't overheat an engine too much. While the CTD is a cast Iron case it can still warp with excess heat and cause other problems. If you have an aluminum case overheating often cause a head gasket problem or cracked head.

good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts