Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tryed serching this one couldnt find what i was lookin for so my question is- how hard is it to change? i have a clutch waiting to go in should i wait and pull the pan while the tranny is out or is it possible to do it with it in? i also notice the clearance between the pan and cross member is pretty tight, is that going to play a factor in it? also any recomendations on a aftermarket pan? thanks

·
Outlaw Diesel Lc
83 Posts
You have to jack the motor up and take out the pickup tube bolts and drop the pickup tube into the pan and remove the pan then. it is easier if the trans is out and you remove the adapter plate on the rear of the motor.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
as far as i know all you gotta do is drop the oil and take the pan off. prep it up good and clean. id use some black loctite #598 on both sides of the gasket and let it set abit before you put it on. make sure you smear it around evenly with your finger. not too much you dont want any coming off inside. just give it a coat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should i just unbolt the engine and pick it up with a cherry picker? also anyone kno of any aftermarket pan or is it to the stealership for this one?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You have to jack the motor up and take out the pickup tube bolts and drop the pickup tube into the pan and remove the pan then. it is easier if the trans is out and you remove the adapter plate on the rear of the motor.
that sounds easier. even if you jack up the front of the truck so that the suspension is down more outta the way then you might not have to jack the engine up as much

·
4,678 Posts
jack the frame up so the suspension is outta the way and loosen the motor mounts. The trans bolts on the crossmember need to be removed. I had my head off though at the time, which helped with the room up top. I pulled the motor up slowly so i didnt get anything snagged. Oh i also unbolted the bolts on the shroud to the rad. I didnt have to unhook my oil pick up tube either, i just slid my pan to the side and kinda slid it off... sorry if this isnt clear as mudd. LOL

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
how would he be for the downpipe off turbo? if he had the tranny out when he goes and changes the clutch he wont have to worry about the shifters

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
just making sure we aren't forgetting anything for the guy. and future reference for me :D

·
4,678 Posts
I know what you mean, i am telling this 2nd hand but i did do it first hand , LOL I am not by any means a mech. but i did manage to pull my head and replace a piston and rings by myself with the motor still in the truck. Not too bad for me, i think LOL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anyone kno of a aftermarket pan?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bottom where the drain plug is all dented in and it holds a little bit of oil, the main reason i wanna do it is cuz im going to have the tranny out soon and wanna kill two birds with one stone. its not leakin, so should i just let it be?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts