Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common is it for a rod to go through a block or a melted piston? My05 runs very good but I see all these guys on Facebook blowing these trucks up. Is it lack of maintenance..operator error...racing a cold engine?

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
A rod out the block isn't common.

Melted pistons generally are either tuning or injector related (the tuning leads to injector failure/issues or the injectors just wear out).

Tuning issues are mostly from a couple years ago, not many melting them now it seems, as tuning has advanced with more knowledge gained by tuners over the years.

All in all, they're pretty durable.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Melting a piston is usually operator error. Either ignoring the pyro or continuing to run when injectors appear to be having issues, white smoke, etc. Rods through blocks aren't very common. Good tuning, good fuel filtration, gauges, and proper maintenance, they're very reliable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
601 Posts
there just like a hot babe, great to look at and ride, but damm they are high maintenance...

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
Very true:rof

And my comment above about them being durable is from someone who melted two pistons in my 03, melted two pistons in my 07, and tossed a rod through the side of the block in the 03.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's what I was thinking. Poor maintenance... ignoring warning signs...not warming it up. I heard a bad injector can bend a rod by putting to much fuel in the cylinder. But there is usually a vibration in the engine before the rod exits the block.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This does happen but I wouldn't says it's common. Most are operator error. I would say the common rail is fairly reliable but it's no 12 valve.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
248 Posts
Common rails are high maintenance just like a good lookin woman. But they don't like having the piss hotrodded out of them. Keep up with changing fuel filters with quality ones and they are reliable. Mine hasn't had a major hiccup in 184000 miles.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
Well that's what I was thinking. Poor maintenance... ignoring warning signs...not warming it up.
In my cases, the 03 was the standard worn injectors that were very common on early CR's, that were replaced under warranty; the new ones failed under 200 miles.

My 07 was because I was playing with tuning that I had no idea how it worked (Quad Adrenaline stacked onto Smarty TNT...but boy did that SOB run GOOD before it blew:hehe:). I did indeed have warning signs for this but chose to ignore them. Lesson learned...a VERY expensive lesson.

And the rod was a fluke failure.

It's not always lack of maintenance, not letting it warm is more a headgasket issue than injectors. And injectors don't always show signs, but often they do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I leave my 05 stock keep up on maintenance odds are it should last me a good long time. What about broken rings what causes that? Injector or hot rodding?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ive melted two pistons number 2 and 6 in one shot still dont know why

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
If you take care of your truck their should be minimal issues if an. Thats basic matinence aside.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So if I leave my 05 stock keep up on maintenance odds are it should last me a good long time. What about broken rings what causes that? Injector or hot rodding?
If you take care of it, do not abuse it. I am quite sure it will last.

If you look at my posts, you will see.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
They'll need replaced eventually, the tolerances are so tight and as they wear, they start leaking. Nature of the beast.

Rings, I don't know. I don't know anyone that's broken any. Maybe increased cylinder temp/pressure from programming causes the rings to expand into the cylinder wall and go snap.

·
First World Problems!
2,534 Posts

was it your thread I saw awhile back were you lost your engine just short of 1,000,000 miles due to an injector?

·
First World Problems!
2,534 Posts
Ive melted two pistons number 2 and 6 in one shot still dont know why
Did you have your injectors tested after the failure? I bet it would be worth your while.

·
World Champs!!!
24,255 Posts
was it your thread I saw awhile back were you lost your engine just short of 1,000,000 miles due to an injector?
Yeah that was 'medic

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Do you use injector cleaner?brand? How often? Any added filtration to fuel system or just use the fleet guard filter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.