Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, how does water in your fuel destroy the injection pump and the injectors? They're both fluids, so how does it happen?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There are a number of other reasons why you don't want water in the fuel but I think the big ones are...

An engine that don't run - Premature component wear due to lack of lubricity - and in some cases the tip of the injector can deform or even discintegrate as a result of water turning to steam prior to exiting the injector.

If those aren't good enough reasons, there are many more out there ranging from corrosion of precision parts, to bio slime...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know it's bad...I was just wondering what the actual modes of failure are.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sure - sorry if my tone came off as trying to convince you it was bad. What I was trying to say is that there are many reasons, and the first 2 were the biggest I could think of.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
when the water hits the injector it produces steam and blows the tip off the injector if your lucky enough to have it explode and not just blow off and scrape the cylinder wall you can just replace the injector , in the older pumps water will rust the pump it settles in the bottom of pump, on standyne or rusa masters the Governor is first to stick you can fix this by running about a gallon of atf in the diesel not enough experience with hpcr and water to know but i am trying very hard to not ever find out

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got water in my fuel tank through the vents on top that didn't have hoses on them like they were supposed to and the truck completly laid down on me. Dealer pulled a gallon sample of fuel and got about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Found out that water was coming from the gooseneck pocket in the flatbed. Anyways got the insurance company to pay for it and they about s#$% when the bill was $18,000 to replace all injectors, injection pump and everything else that fuel touches. I asked about getting a new engine as it would be cheaper and would be happy to settle with a 5.9 but they didn't got for it. :CRY: No problems since just not happy with the truck at all.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I got water in my fuel tank through the vents on top that didn't have hoses on them like they were supposed to and the truck completly laid down on me. Dealer pulled a gallon sample of fuel and got about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Found out that water was coming from the gooseneck pocket in the flatbed. Anyways got the insurance company to pay for it and they about s#$% when the bill was $18,000 to replace all injectors, injection pump and everything else that fuel touches. I asked about getting a new engine as it would be cheaper and would be happy to settle with a 5.9 but they didn't got for it. :CRY: No problems since just not happy with the truck at all.
18,000 sounds like they were gouging you and your insurance company. This happened to another member here also. The dealerquoted him around 12,000 bucks (which is extremely high also). I believe he repaired it for a lot less somehow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thought that it was very high also as the 6.7 engine itself is like $10,000 I think. I got a copy of the work and the injectors were 1800 @ and the inj pump was 4800 plus others and labor. The insurance kinda boked at it and then paid it. I thought that somebody had poured water in my tank until after they had fixed it and told me water was on top of the tank and I figured how the water came in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts