Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 1996 CTD with an automatic. When doing about 55 to 60 mph and you step on it there is nothing unless you push the button and manually kick it out of overdrive then it will kick down to second and act normal. My question is should it kick out of O/D automatically or does it do it only manually at this speed? Let me know if I explained myself good enough or if you need more info.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really, Nobody knows my question?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
I believe a 96 has a solenoid that controls OD and it is sticking...I do not know the cure though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, do you know where the solenoid is located? What it is called?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
is it not shifting out of overdrive or is it torque converter lockup that your talking about? at that speed, it would not be coming out of lockup.....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you step on it at that speed it is like you are in to high of a gear and you need to shift down but it will not kick down on it's own only if you manually do it then it works just fine. When starting out from a dead stop it shifts nice from first to second to drive to overdrive. I don't know if it is just inbetween gears and at that speed doesn't know what to do but my experience with auto's is that when you step on it it should kick out of Over drive and down shift to meet the demand of the driver.

·
SC Chapter President
1,289 Posts
On my truck at 55 to 60 mph, it will not come out of OD. I talked to my trans guy about it, and he said that it was normal operation. Anything over 45 mph the trans will probably not come out of OD. He has worked on nothing but autos for over 20 years, so I believe whatever he says when it comes to transmissions! Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts