Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for feedback on how you like your Smarty Jr. I am looking at purchasing one this week. I have been overseas for the last 7 months so I am kinda out of the Mods loop.

Thanks, Jesse

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love mine, great programmer if you got a stock tranny, if u got a built tranny get the smarty sr. but the jr has got balls!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
good

I have had mine for a while, I like it, I seem to get my best mpg improvments on the 100hp setting, small improvment on the 40hp setting, I have seen a best of 17.8 mpg, avg. 17.5 I am trying to stack with the mp-8 with mixed results so far.

·
Registered
841 Posts
no regrets here ... luv the Smarty Jr. Like slvrbullet01 said it's made for basically a stock truck. It really woke my truck up that's for sure. I run mainly the 70 hp tune (sw #2) ... it's a nice all around tune ... truck runs smooth (though quite a bit more timing rattle) and mpg is about the same as long as you don't horse it too much (good luck)
I'd buy the exact same thing if I had to start over again.
One thing ... about the timing rattle ... it seems to have quieted down some since the summer fuel has started pumping.

One more thing ... the Jr doesn't smoke much either no matter what you do ... with the 48RE ... that was important for me.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Love it... enough said...

·
Registered
866 Posts
One more thing ... the Jr doesn't smoke much either no matter what you do ... with the 48RE ... that was important for me.
I have heard that it smokes a bunch. :dunno

·
Registered
764 Posts
manuals smoke much more than autos.
ah64id..have you been keeping mileage records since the jr purchase?

Interesting to see.:thumbsup

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Yes I have, thou I have nothing to compare them to as I bought the truck in Nov with 10K on it and only put 2K on it before I put the Jr on.. So between no baseline, winter fuel, new to me truck, and a not broke in motor its really hard to say what the Jr has done for my mileage. I have also switched all my fluids to Amsoil in the last 3K, as well as go to 285's.

I can say that except for 2 tanks of towing I haven't dipped below 17 mpgs in 3K miles (well 16.9 on one tank with lots of WOT runs :D)...

With the warmer weather my mileage is on the up thou and I am happy :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes I have, thou I have nothing to compare them to as I bought the truck in Nov with 10K on it and only put 2K on it before I put the Jr on.. So between no baseline, winter fuel, new to me truck, and a not broke in motor its really hard to say what the Jr has done for my mileage. I have also switched all my fluids to Amsoil in the last 3K, as well as go to 285's.

I can say that except for 2 tanks of towing I haven't dipped below 17 mpgs in 3K miles (well 16.9 on one tank with lots of WOT runs :D)...

With the warmer weather my mileage is on the up thou and I am happy :D

WOW! You've got Excel down to a science!:thumbsup

I'm avg 14.23 -that's 90% city driving. I think once I get that Smarty Jr it should go up a bit.
Thanks for the info!:woot:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm also very pleased with my Jr. I run on the 100hp setting with a stock trans and haven't had any problems at all. It blows a little smoke with I'm heavy on the throttle. I also bought it so I can recalibrate the speedo when I swap tires.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i can get mine to smoke pretty good

·
Registered
178 Posts
Love mine as well,wish it smoked just a little less though. My rear tires dont seem to like the smarty to well though..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hey John,
I've been keeping track of my mileage since day on when I bought it back in late December/January 05'. Excel did that for ya? Boy, I have t o learn that software :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would buy a used car from John! With records like that-you know he took excellent care..:hyper::beer

Did you notice the diesel price in April? Geez...to see $4.00/gal again:CRY:

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Hey John,
I've been keeping track of my mileage since day on when I bought it back in late December/January 05'. Excel did that for ya? Boy, I have t o learn that software :D
Yeah its pretty neat software, just a few functions add your data and it does the math...

Did you notice the diesel price in April? Geez...to see $4.00/gal again:CRY:
Heck did you see December, 5 months ago I paid 3.179...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I bought my truck april 24th and as of may 24th diesel had gone up .76 cents. Craziness.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for your feedback, Im thinking the Smarty Jr is the way to go.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I also love mine!!! Probably the best $ spent on my truck. I run mine on sw-2 70hp, mileage has been 18mpg combination city/highway driving. Hand calculated. Got 16.9 towing our 22ft trailer with the bikes! Timing rattle is a little more noticeable but not bad even on sw-3 100hp, but I always run the Amsoil diesel concentrate in the fuel.:peelout

1 - 20 of 32 Posts