Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kind of techniques were out there for launching your stick trucks...

this is my first oil burner and cant for the life of me get a decent launch out of it! Not that ive tried much, only messed around with it a few times.

I think its mostly because im scared of breaking something!

Anyways, im just wondering how you guys launch your truck on the pavement...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know about launching in a manual, but the way I do it in a auto is get to the line STAND in the break and build boost. Then just wait for the lights and floor it the second that 2nd yellow goes. OH and I'm locked in 4hi. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Yes being able to work all 3 pedals at the same time will grant you that launch. As long as you have a good after market clutch you should be able to do them and not hurt it that badly.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
hrm, 3 pedals at once, sounds like i need to try it just to make sure this new clutch is working properly.

·
Not like the others......
4,190 Posts
Why not work two pedals and a line lock on your brakes?
That's what I've wondered too. I've heard mention that a line lock doesn't play nicely with the anit-lock brakes, but IDK. I've never really researched it that much.

·
Shiftin Fool
1,185 Posts
ive been tossing around the line lock idea for a while now. but i have gotten very good at working three pedals. but make sure you have the clutch to handle that!

·
Registered
974 Posts
do a fully boosted 3rd gear launch in 4hi. Youll know what the weak link is then.:lol3: I've never really gotten a good launch with my 6spd

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
If you don't have a double d clutch, 2,200rpms or so and dump it in 2nd and shift for all your worth....

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so basically smoke the clutch every launch :D

What kind of boost can a guy dump it at in 2nd without breaking too many things?

Haha. i might have to try a few launches when i get home... New clutch, here i come!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
i do it the way burgundy bomber said.....one the street at least......at the track i cannot do this because it wont take of i have to back off of the rpm's quite a bit.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Ok, so basically smoke the clutch every launch :D

What kind of boost can a guy dump it at in 2nd without breaking too many things?

Haha. i might have to try a few launches when i get home... New clutch, here i come!
One launch like this broke some things for me....:rof

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you just dump it you have to find a balance between keeping it from lugging down on launch and not too high so you dont spin all four.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just thought of a new title for the thread...

"how to launch your truck, without lunching it"

Should be back home again tonight (loooonnnnngggg day of flying today!) and im going to see if i cant smoke the clutch out of it...

Maybe i should order one first, im not too keen about the clutch in the truck. it does have alot of miles on it and im sure a couple of slips and itll lunch. Only one way to tell i guess....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts