Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone can explain how my 05 front hubs work when I select 4x4? I have the manual shift on the floor. Lately when engaging 4x4 I will not get the light in the dash. Although it does seem to work. Are they electric? Do they disengage or is my front axle always supposed to spin? I am new to modern 4x4's only had fully manual systems before. Also does the rear axle have an electric lockup when in 4x4 or do you just depend on the "anti-spin" function?

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
your front axle will always spin, I think it just transfers power to the front drive shaft through the Transfer case

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so as long as you are not spinning the wheels you should be able to shift into 4H from 2H at any "low" speed?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
yes you can shift from 2h to 4h on the fly but you have to come to a complete stop to switch to 4L

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So really the front hubs are always locked up? Do you know of any kits that unlock them for fuel mileage or to reduce wear on front axle?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
yes they sell manual lock-out hubs but they are pricey last set I priced was around 1800 to 2000 bucks:doh:

·
Premium Member
15,373 Posts
These trucks do no thave front hubs, always engaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like said these trucks do not have front hubs. They have unit bearings that are directly attached to the axles via splines. There is a switch and vacuum module on the transfer case that maybe faulty. It will still engage the transfercase it just won't let you know with the light.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like said these trucks do not have front hubs. They have unit bearings that are directly attached to the axles via splines. There is a switch and vacuum module on the transfer case that maybe faulty. It will still engage the transfercase it just won't let you know with the light.
Do you know what the vacuum module does?
I figured the reason I have no light in the dash might just be a switch for the light that is preventing the light from turning on. What is the small line following the brake lines to the axle on each side?

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
on an 05 there is no vaccum disconnect axle, i think that stoped in 03; correct me if i am wrong. I know 04.5 and newer do not have the dissconnects. I looked at a dynatrac kit and if i remember everything was 1200 from 4 wheel parts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info everyone! Good to know that this 4x4 system seems pretty fail safe, hopefully it will serve me well! Are the wires on the top of the rear differential ABS related too?

·
Registered
204 Posts
yes you can shift from 2h to 4h on the fly but you have to come to a complete stop to switch to 4L

The owners manual on my truck says 3 mph while in neutral to be the optimum condition to shift into 4WL.

Sometime when stopped, it does not want to go into 4WL.

2004.5, 2500, Quad, 4x4, LWB, NV5600

1 - 15 of 15 Posts