Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a 98 2500 this morning. How do I tell if it's a 12V or a 24V???
I know they changed sometime in 98

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Pop the hood and the valve cover will say 24v if it is. Also. if its still got the badges on the fender it will say "cummins turbo diesel" if its 12v and "cummins 24v turbo diesel" if its 24v.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
noooooooooooooot to be a d!ck or anything, but you're buying a '98 and you don't even know what engine it has???

:hehe:

again sorry, i dunno, you'll learn...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, not to be a dick either, but I'm not so sure I really CARE what motor it has in it. It's a work truck.
This isn't a hobby for me. This is just one more piece of equipment that supports my business. Nothing more.
I had simply heard that they put both engines in 98's. Either would work fine I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You may not care, but if you would like a more reliable piece of machinery (which I'm sure you would), especially fuel system-wise, then I hope it's a 12 valve. Mine's my work truck too, but I got a 12 valve BECAUSE of the proven reliability, not because of it's HP abilities...

P.S. Regardless of which it is, you'll want to take care of this ASAP if it has not been done already, find out if the previous owner(s) know anything about it...

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-tech-articles/223095-what-kdp.html

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dowel pin thing is the reason I was interested in how to tell.
Been doing some reading. I think it is a 12V. But not positive.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Keep in mind that some 24V's were also affected

·
Registered
570 Posts
:doh:
Well, here's the best I could do without alot of explaining.... As said above, look at your door badges. But, just for reference, here are some pics.

Open your hood, and see which one ya got.

Here's a 12 valve. Notice you can see the big p7100 injection pump with 6 lines coming out of the top of it, located on the driver's side of the motor. (let's hope you have a 12 valver) And the intake has a big triangular-shaped bracket coming off of it.

And here's a 24 valve... It doesn't have the big pump with injector lines sticking up, it has a big one piece valve cover that clearly says "cummins 24 valve turbo diesel", and has a more round looking intake with no bracket coming off it.

These were just the easiest way to take a quick glance at your motor and be able to tell the difference. Once you realize these things, it's obvious. If this still doesn't help, just pop your hood and takea picture of your motor and post it on here, and we'll be able to tell ya. If you can't post pictures, email it to me. [email protected]... Hope I could help ya.:thumbsup:

-Dakotah

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Gentlemen.
It's a 24v, so it would seem I'm in the wrong forum.
Thanks for your enlightenment though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts