Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my AirDog. I pulled the AirDog main line at the IP and its flowin big time but she just cranks. Lil guidance please. Do I pull one of the hard lines off the back of the VP44?
Thank you,
Dave

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
mine was the same way after I installed the big line kit, i ended up getting it started after a half dozen crank attempts.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried pullin a line off at the injector and i got a little fuel but still just cranks. Any more ideas?
Please and thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
crack a couple of the lines at the injectors where the lines meet the tubes and bump the truck over so the pump runs, when fuel comes out of the lines close em up and turn her over, she will fire off and probably sound rough after a few seconds (maybe 10-15 seconds of constant cranking) if it soesnt fire after 15 seconds of cranking give it a rest a minute and bump it again so the fuel pump will cycle and build pressure after it shuts off start cranking again.

when i installed my airdog 150 i didnt even crack the lines i just bumped the key a couple times in a row so it primed and cranked on the starter.

did the same thing today when i installed my new sticks. just hit the key and she fired after a couple cycles and a few seconds.

reason is it takes a bit for it to build up enough pressure to be able to "pop" the injector and push the air out. but in the mean time the air is occupying space and not allowing fuel into the injector to be able to create the higher pressure needed to "pop" the injector open to push the air out and let in fuel. hence why they call it being air locked.

did it a couple of times on my 7.3 navstar motor my 92 f350 i had, that truck was a pain to get fired up again. my cummins seems to be pretty easy tho.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a little fuel out at the injector but it wasn't much. Should I wait till its coming out strong? Thanks for the good info. I'm afraid that the IP is shot. It was failing and I hope cranking it dry didn't kill it. Oh well, got a new one in the garage.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crack a couple of the lines at the injectors where the lines meet the tubes and bump the truck over so the pump runs, when fuel comes out of the lines close em up and turn her over, she will fire off and probably sound rough after a few seconds (maybe 10-15 seconds of constant cranking) if it soesnt fire after 15 seconds of cranking give it a rest a minute and bump it again so the fuel pump will cycle and build pressure after it shuts off start cranking again.

when i installed my airdog 150 i didnt even crack the lines i just bumped the key a couple times in a row so it primed and cranked on the starter.

did the same thing today when i installed my new sticks. just hit the key and she fired after a couple cycles and a few seconds.

reason is it takes a bit for it to build up enough pressure to be able to "pop" the injector and push the air out. but in the mean time the air is occupying space and not allowing fuel into the injector to be able to create the higher pressure needed to "pop" the injector open to push the air out and let in fuel. hence why they call it being air locked.

did it a couple of times on my 7.3 navstar motor my 92 f350 i had, that truck was a pain to get fired up again. my cummins seems to be pretty easy tho.
Thanks bud, this worked. I pulled the high pressure lines off @ #'s 3,4, and 5. Then cranked till it made a mess, reattached and rough start and rough idle, then smoothed out to normal. Thanks for the advice.
Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
no problem dude.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts