Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the best way to get a price on what my truck is worth?

I've googled and googled and prices are all over the place.

Mine is a 1992 W250 147K auto PW/PDL ext cab good shape with the exception of a dented front fender. I'm the 2nd owner my Grandpa was the 1st.

I want to sell it and I want to be fair on the price.

Where do I start???

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
20,116 Posts
That's the way it is with Dodge Diesel trucks, it depends on how bad someone wants one on what they will pay for it. Best thing to do is list it for what you think it's worth to you. I've seen the 92 and 93's like yours go for $10 to $15,000.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I agree with oldram. If you really want to squeeze the most out of it my suggestion is to have it detailed like there’s no tomorrow and post it on eBay. Start it at something ridiculous like $1,000. It’ll be in the low teens in no time.

If you prefer to do a face to face transaction and ok with getting less than max price then Craigslist is probably the way to go. However you need to price right to sell it quick. Always $500 to a grand above what you really want because the CL buyer will always haggle you. Oh and get ready for all sorts of phone calls. Anything from broke enthusiasts who want to chat to people with the $$$ to pay top dollar and no knowledge of what they are getting themselves into.

Show us a pic.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Forget eBay, unless you want to pay a huge commission out of your sales price. Set it slightly above the price you want (to give yourself some negotiating room) and post it on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

As for the question about what's a fair price, that's going to depend on 1) how good it looks, 2) how good it runs, 3) where it's located, 4) what time of year it is, 5) how many more just like it are listed for sale, and 6) how many people are wanting to buy it.

Example: I used to buy and sell paintball equipment as a hobby. I bought gear in the late fall/early winter, before Christmas and when most people had stopped playing for the year, and sold it when people started getting income tax refunds in the spring, and started playing for the year. I could turn a nice profit just by the timing.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Only goes back to 1998.

Goes back lots farther.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1926/Dodge/Truck

Select the 1998 then submit. When it brings up 98, click drop down year list again. Don't know why they do that, but it is what it is. It will then show down to '26 but yes, it will show 92 then.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1992/Dodge/Truck

Use this as a general guide only, not an absolute value. I've seen it off both by valuing higher or lower than what a vehicle actually should be. With the dinged up fender, I would go closer to the lower retail value they list. If selling, it's not worth fixing the fender, it won't raise the value enough to pay for the $$ spent to fix it/sell it. I know that from experience. IMHO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the past 4 months I’ve replaced the alternator battery front driveshaft and every single U joint and tie rod ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,123 Posts
A fair price is what a buyer and seller agree on before somebody else makes an offer or not.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
This is a tough one. It all depends on what the next person wants to do about that fender/grille.

IMO

option 1 -Next person leaves as is and he wants to offer you $5k because he/she will probably continue to beat it up and don’t care for esthetics

Option 2- they offer you from 8-10k considering it needs body work. I can estimate a good $500-1000 to spot repair or replace fender and repair but then if they want to match up to rest they will probably want to do a full paint job at a min of $2k.

Long story short of your not in a hurry to sell it throw it on the market for $12-13k and see what kind of reactions you get.

I will tell you one thing, if it’s worth way more you’ll have people fighting over it and I’m 100% certain that whoever is serious will offer over asking. It’s happened to me before from a buyers perspective. So far 2 W’s have slipped away because the other party offered more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a tough one. It all depends on what the next person wants to do about that fender/grille.

IMO

option 1 -Next person leaves as is and he wants to offer you $5k because he/she will probably continue to beat it up and don’t care for esthetics

Option 2- they offer you from 8-10k considering it needs body work. I can estimate a good $500-1000 to spot repair or replace fender and repair but then if they want to match up to rest they will probably want to do a full paint job at a min of $2k.

Long story short of your not in a hurry to sell it throw it on the market for $12-13k and see what kind of reactions you get.

I will tell you one thing, if it’s worth way more you’ll have people fighting over it and I’m 100% certain that whoever is serious will offer over asking. It’s happened to me before from a buyers perspective. So far 2 W’s have slipped away because the other party offered more.

Thank you, I appreciate that. 12k is what I had in mind, however the owner of the diesel shop here where I live in Alaska said “ list it for 15k you’ll sell it for 15k and next year it will be pushing snow”. lol

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Thank you, I appreciate that. 12k is what I had in mind, however the owner of the diesel shop here where I live in Alaska said “ list it for 15k you’ll sell it for 15k and next year it will be pushing snow”. lol

He may be right. What have you got to lose? Worst case you’ll come down to what your real number is and everyone will be happy with the transaction. Good luck man. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts