Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I'm new to this forum and thought I'd make my first post. I just bought a 1999 2500 24 valve (still has not been shipped to me yet). I want this truck to have great off the line performance and have lots of hp and I would like some advice on the best way to do that (without spending crazy amounts of money). I'll list the upgrades that have already been done to the truck and then maybe you guys can help me out on the rest.

Upgrades: Built transmission rated for 700hp, Industrial Injection PhatShaft 62 turbo, Magnum Force Stage-2 cold air intake, aFe intake manifold, 3 piece exhaust manifold going to 5" exhaust, and Edge CTS Juice with Attitude. It looks like it may have an upgraded fuel supply system but I could be wrong. Let's assume it doesn't.

I definitely want to upgrade to a bigger turbo and I want to replace the injectors. What turbo should I go with, what injectors, and what else should I upgrade?

·
Registered
210 Posts
1. Lift pump and delete factory lift pump and filter.
2. Head studs.
3. Match injectors to the turbo set up you intend to use for what HP goal you set.
4. I would advise just going to a compound set up over a large single. especially if you intend to tow.
5. upgrade factory inter cooling boots and inter cooler

Reactions: CumNewb

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Lift pump and delete factory lift pump and filter.
2. Head studs.
3. Match injectors to the turbo set up you intend to use for what HP goal you set.
4. I would advise just going to a compound set up over a large single. especially if you intend to tow.
5. upgrade factory inter cooling boots and inter cooler
Do you have any suggestions on a good compound turbo or where I should look? Also where would be the best place to get a quality intercooler?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Check in the Vendors area of the forum and give one of them a call to help you out. In the general forum area your going to get conflicting replies and still be lost as to what to do.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I want this truck to have great off the line performance and have lots of hp and I would like some advice on the best way to do that (without spending crazy amounts of money).
What are you planning to do with the truck?
What do you consider "crazy amounts" of $$?

Don't forget, you get what you pay for. Go cheap and expect problems somewhere down the road

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you planning to do with the truck?
What do you consider "crazy amounts" of $$?

Don't forget, you get what you pay for. Go cheap and expect problems somewhere down the road
I’m just wanting it to be fast so it’s fun to drive. Not looking to tow cause I got another truck for that. And when I say I don’t want to spend crazy amounts of money I just mean I don’t want to do lots of upgrades. But the upgrades I do do I will definitely spend the money for quality parts.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
build your transmission for the amount of power you are wanting to do if not you might as well burn the money you will break the input and output shafts. compounds easiest way to get to fast easy power and still derivable while continuing to build the motor. HEAD STUDS BEFORE ANYTHING

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
build your transmission for the amount of power you are wanting to do if not you might as well burn the money you will break the input and output shafts. compounds easiest way to get to fast easy power and still derivable while continuing to build the motor. HEAD STUDS BEFORE ANYTHING
Since the transmission is already built for 700hp I will only go up to that and not over

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Typically you would put a s475 under a 62mm. What lift pump are yyou running?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Typically you would put a s475 under a 62mm. What lift pump are yyou running?
I'm not sure yet. I just bought the truck and I've waited 3 weeks for it to ship but it hasn't yet cause of covid. I can tell it's got an after market lift pump but not sure what it is.

·
On call 24/7
12,629 Posts
You haven’t received the truck yet and your already upgrading? See how it runs and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I would still personally check it. Where I grew up lots of people "built" the truck aka tore it down and cleaned it to make it seem built with fake invoices. Double check in person

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Sounds like it's already been modified. Why not just see what it does when you get it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it's a '99 model I would definitely look and see which block it has, if it has the 53 block then you may want to be extremely cautious about dropping a lot of hp into this truck. The 53 blocks are notorious for cracking, you can have a read on these blocks by searching the forum, but basically it's a hit or miss with these blocks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If it's a '99 model I would definitely look and see which block it has, if it has the 53 block then you may want to be extremely cautious about dropping a lot of hp into this truck. The 53 blocks are notorious for cracking, you can have a read on these blocks by searching the forum, but basically it's a hit or miss with these blocks.
Yep already got that covered. Made sure it wasn’t a 53 block before I bought it 👍

·
Registered
210 Posts
As I stated this was the second thing i put on my go faster to do list for him lol. But yes Head studs are a must before you put different turbos on.

I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the FASS 240gph titanium
And if your only trying to make 700HP then you dont need a 240Gph lift pump. A FASS 160Gph will get you there just fine

Do you have any suggestions on a good compound turbo or where I should look? Also where would be the best place to get a quality intercooler?
I would recommend DieselAutoPower.com New Phone Hours. 7:00AM- 7:00PM MST 801-618-2151. You can also try to shoot Jkidd a message. I have had zero complaints about them and the way they handle biz.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts