Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how common are 3.08 ratio dana 61/71's?

4687 8
And what should they usually cost?

I'm aware that dana 60's and 70's normally cost a pretty penny used because all the offroaders and hot rodders want them.

I was wondering if the dana 61 and dana 71 versions of the axles, due to their 'unwanted' (for most people) high ratios go for less, how hard they are to find, and similar.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Easy to find if your not looking for a set and hard to find if you do want a set :D

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
They are usually cheaper because re-gearing for slow offroad gears isn't a straightforward affair. In is possible though with careful choice of carriers, gears, and/or spacer.

For Dodge, they only show up in 89-91 cummins/727 equipped trucks.

I have seen a Dana 61 rear w/3.07 in an early 80's F250 diesel.

Easy to find if your not looking for a set and hard to find if you do want a set :D
Truth!

Reactions: blake_stone

·
1ST GEN
11,557 Posts
For Dodge, they only show up in 89-91 cummins/727 equipped trucks.
Truth!
They were an optional ratio all the way into the 93 model year.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
They were an optional ratio all the way into the 93 model year.
I've heard that before.... but if you *really* want to find them, you're best off to hunt down the 727 trucks. Mine came from an early 91 D250 (727 equipped). $200 iirc.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
is your only purpose in going with the dana 61/71 to save money on the initial purchase? or because you want the 3.08 gear ratio?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By a set do you mean matching ratios/both axles on one truck? (ie most junkyards will be missing either front or rear)

I'm probably most interested in just the front axle if I have to choose, there may be other rear options if I get a little fancy. (Ford Sterling 10.5 has a 3.08 ratio/i'm not sure how anally those ratios need to match since even tires with different loads will vary in diameter slightly)

is your only purpose in going with the dana 61/71 to save money on the initial purchase? or because you want the 3.08 gear ratio?
For the gear ratio. Granny gear transmissions are so low i'm not concerned about getting started in gear, and I want a low cruise rpm.

Even if I don't go with the 3.08 they CAN use any other ratio i'd care to use (3.38ish thru 4.10ish I forget exact numbers) with I believe a spacer or somesuch, as I don't plan off road tires, i'm just told they are usually passed over by 'serious' guys wanting big tires and 4.56 or lower so may be cheaper.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
second time i've posted this this week, enjoy:

Tech:
Most of the 61's we have seen come with 3.07 gears, in order to run the 3.07 gears and fit the monster pinion head in there dana changed the offset of the pinion by changing the housing not the carrier. Dana 61's did however come w/ 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 gears. The best advatage to these, they are cheap b/c the Q of whether or not they can be geared is a bit mystical. And the good news is they can be regeared!
Gearing:
This is how you get one to work. There was a a dana 60 spacer made by Reider that allowed you to run the lower ratio gear ie 4.56 and up. I believe this spacer was 1/2 thick (UNVERIFIED). It required the 4.56 and up dana 60 carrier and the ring gear spacer to get the offset needed. This said spacer seems to be just a legend now and has Been discontinued. However their still is the Mr. gasket dana 60 spacer (.160 thickness) that just about every drivetrain company sells. This spacer is designed to allow you to run the 4.56 and up gears on a 4.10 and down carrier for a regular 60. This spacer does come into play but need not be confused w/ the legendary Rieder spacer, they are of different thickness.
Alas there is a dana/spicer Dana 61- 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x. This carrier is 2 5/8 tall (UNVERIFIED). Where as the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier part# 706041x is 2 7/16 tall. So what combination do you need to run which gear ratio? If you have a dana 61 that has 3.07 gears in it and you want to run 3.33-4.30 gears, you will need to run the dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x (ONLY AVAILABLE USED) or the dana 60 4.56 and up carrier with a .160 ring gear spacer WITH A 382A narrow race and some outside shims. This is popular for people who are trying to regear a 3.07 dodge cummins and the like front 61 that has a non overdrive auto, If you switch to a manual or to an overdrive auto transmission, you will likely want some lower gearing that is how you get it.
If you have a dana 61 with 3.33 or higher gear ratio you need a .160 ring gear spacer, 382A race and outside shims to run 4.56's and up.
If you have a dana 61 with 3.07 gears and you want to go to 4.56 or numerically higher gear ratio you will need to obtain a dana 61 3.33 and up carrier part# 706400x and a .160 ring gear spacer to achieve the desired offset. Or have a .437 ring gear spacer custom machined. OR AND MOST USEFUL FOR READILY AVAILABLE PARTS AND ABSOLUTELY VERIFIED: D60 4.56 AND UP CARRIER/LOCKER, .160 RING GEAR SPACER, THICK CUT DANA 60 GEAR (4.56,5.13,5.38, 382A NARROW RACE AND SOME OUTSIDE SHIM SECTION. This is popular for the guys trying to score a cheap front or rear 60's and gear it for offroad use.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
what is your reason for wanting 3.07 gears, and what trans is in the truck. the reason I ask is I tried 3.07s and a 518od trans and my mileage went down not up. a non lockup trans did not work very well at those low rpms a 5 sp might be ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.