Cummins Diesel Forum banner

How can I tell when a regen is occurring?

39K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Diesel1892 
#1 ·
So I'm new to Cummins - just bought a 2018 RAM 3500 with the manual trans. I've had four Ford Powerstroke 6.7L Super Duty trucks which I loved. Just wanted to try the manual trans before it is gone.

Question is, how do I know when a DPF regen is occurring? On the Ford, you could activate a screen in the dash display showing how full the exhaust filter was, and you would see the %Full dropping as the truck regenerated. Can you see this on the RAM in any way? Is there a message or warning light that comes on?

If not, there were other signs on the Powerstroke...the turbo boost gauge would show boost added much more quickly during a regen. The engine would have a slightly different tone. And finally, there would be the hot smell. Of course, fuel economy would drop as well. On the Powerstroke, a regen was forced automatically every 500 miles even if the filter wasn't full. These were brief regens. Otherwise, a full 20-minute regen would occur. The Ford regen would stop if the truck was put into Park. (What happens with a standard?).

Discussion starter · #5 ·
The 2017+ Fords do indeed regenerate every 500 miles regardless of the DPF status. Like I said, these regens are brief. We’ve speculated it is to ensure the DPF pressure differential sensors are working properly. Initiate an active regen, no change in delta...generate DTC for DPF system.

The Fords also have the SCR ahead of the DPF...I believe dosing is cancelled during an active regen since it would have a cooling effect. I think on the Cummins (haven’t looked under my new truck yet since I just got it and there is 10 inches of snow on the ground) but I think SCR is last. Well aware SCR has nothing to do with the DPF.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
You have to add it as a custom PID, it's not part of the provided PIDs. I can post the info tomorrow.
Yeah, I've got an Apple phone. Apparently nothing works. Already have the MX Link adapter (Ford has the free FORScan software which is amazing) but it couldn't run off the iPhone.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
OBD Fusion app works with the iPhone. I use it and can monitor tons of things including regen status. I use a cheap WiFi OBD II adapter from amazon and the app cost $10 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the problem is the adapter. Bluetooth doesn't work on the iPhone. I've already got $80 in that adapter; could get a cheap WiFi one I guess.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Well, I got my answer last night. First regen, around 630 miles on the truck. Smells really hot, just like my Fords. No turbo gauge on this truck like the Ford (well, not an analog one anyway) so I can't tell if the turbo suddenly becomes more responsive like it does on the Powerstroke. Couldn't detect a difference in engine sound, but probably not familiar enough yet.

My understanding is that this engine dumps fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, just like the Ford but unlike the 9th injector strategy of the Duramax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.