Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to Cummins - just bought a 2018 RAM 3500 with the manual trans. I've had four Ford Powerstroke 6.7L Super Duty trucks which I loved. Just wanted to try the manual trans before it is gone.

Question is, how do I know when a DPF regen is occurring? On the Ford, you could activate a screen in the dash display showing how full the exhaust filter was, and you would see the %Full dropping as the truck regenerated. Can you see this on the RAM in any way? Is there a message or warning light that comes on?

If not, there were other signs on the Powerstroke...the turbo boost gauge would show boost added much more quickly during a regen. The engine would have a slightly different tone. And finally, there would be the hot smell. Of course, fuel economy would drop as well. On the Powerstroke, a regen was forced automatically every 500 miles even if the filter wasn't full. These were brief regens. Otherwise, a full 20-minute regen would occur. The Ford regen would stop if the truck was put into Park. (What happens with a standard?).

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Drive it and don’t worry about it. If it is interrupted it will finish next time.

Otherwise I can see it with my CTS2 monitor. I know most monitors will show regen status.
Sometimes you can smell a hot smell but not always. You might see a slight fuel economy decrease.

Best advice though is dont worry about it. It will take care of itself.

· Registered
31 Posts
Drive it and don’t worry about it. If it is interrupted it will finish next time.

Otherwise I can see it with my CTS2 monitor. I know most monitors will show regen status.
Sometimes you can smell a hot smell but not always. You might see a slight fuel economy decrease.

Best advice though is dont worry about it. It will take care of itself.
You can actually hear it
Tic tic tic tic tic
The noise comes from up underneath is where you hear coming from. That's the sound of the Blue Def being injected into the dpf system

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
14,690 Posts
You can actually hear it
Tic tic tic tic tic
The noise comes from up underneath is where you hear coming from. That's the sound of the Blue Def being injected into the dpf system

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Uh...NO.

DEF is injected into the SCR catalyst, not the DPF. DEF has zero to do with the DPF and regeneration of the DPF, two separate systems.

DEF is injected constantly while the engine is running, in varying amounts.

And, unless something drastically changed in the fords, active regen doesn't "automatically" occur every 500 miles, my 2012 F250 sure wasn't that way.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2017+ Fords do indeed regenerate every 500 miles regardless of the DPF status. Like I said, these regens are brief. We’ve speculated it is to ensure the DPF pressure differential sensors are working properly. Initiate an active regen, no change in delta...generate DTC for DPF system.

The Fords also have the SCR ahead of the DPF...I believe dosing is cancelled during an active regen since it would have a cooling effect. I think on the Cummins (haven’t looked under my new truck yet since I just got it and there is 10 inches of snow on the ground) but I think SCR is last. Well aware SCR has nothing to do with the DPF.

· Registered
2,788 Posts
The truck does not come with any kind of gauge or display to tell that it is in regen. Sometimes you can smell it but that's about it. Some claim they can see a mpg drop but I can never tell looking at it.

You can use a android app (like torque pro) and a bluetooth ODB dongle to read it though. This is what I use.

Attachments

· Registered
140 Posts
The truck does not come with any kind of gauge or display to tell that it is in regen. Sometimes you can smell it but that's about it. Some claim they can see a mpg drop but I can never tell looking at it.

You can use a android app (like torque pro) and a bluetooth ODB dongle to read it though. This is what I use.
Where do you find DPF status in the torque pro app?

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to add it as a custom PID, it's not part of the provided PIDs. I can post the info tomorrow.
Yeah, I've got an Apple phone. Apparently nothing works. Already have the MX Link adapter (Ford has the free FORScan software which is amazing) but it couldn't run off the iPhone.

· Registered
158 Posts
OBD Fusion app works with the iPhone. I use it and can monitor tons of things including regen status. I use a cheap WiFi OBD II adapter from amazon and the app cost $10 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OBD Fusion app works with the iPhone. I use it and can monitor tons of things including regen status. I use a cheap WiFi OBD II adapter from amazon and the app cost $10 I think.

Yeah, the problem is the adapter. Bluetooth doesn't work on the iPhone. I've already got $80 in that adapter; could get a cheap WiFi one I guess.

· Cummins Dude
2,785 Posts
Keep your window rolled down part way.

You’ll smell the regen every time!

· Registered
1,653 Posts
How often do the regens happen? Is it a mileage thing or a time thing?
It’s based on how full the DPF is. When it reaches a certain point it will regen. I get around 1-2 per month. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions and habit. A lot of variables at play.

· Registered
158 Posts
How often do the regens happen? Is it a mileage thing or a time thing?

Mine regens every 1000-1200 miles. The OBD fusion app has a PID for Distance Between Regens so it’s easy to keep track of. The more city driving I do the less distance I get between regens.

· Cummins Dude
2,785 Posts
I have over 50k on my truck and never once thought about this or noticed anything at all.
You won’t always know it’s happening. It may choose to do it while on the highway. If your trip is long enough, it may be over before you know it.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got my answer last night. First regen, around 630 miles on the truck. Smells really hot, just like my Fords. No turbo gauge on this truck like the Ford (well, not an analog one anyway) so I can't tell if the turbo suddenly becomes more responsive like it does on the Powerstroke. Couldn't detect a difference in engine sound, but probably not familiar enough yet.

My understanding is that this engine dumps fuel into the cylinders on the exhaust stroke, just like the Ford but unlike the 9th injector strategy of the Duramax.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Ironically after I posted I was thinking it had been a really long time since I have seen a regen. Over 3 weeks at least. I went to lunch after I posted and immediately after getting on the road it went to regen. I only did some short back road driving and temps in EGT 3 never got over 500 so it eventually gave up trying. I took another short trip a few hour later and same thing. Later I made the highway trip home and it had no problem getting EGT3 over 1000. It finished up after about 15 mins on the freeway.

These things take care of themselves, no matter how many times you interrupt the regen it will eventually finish. Worst case scenario if it gets really bad because you dont run it hot enough it will give you a warning message. If you get one just drive it on the freeway for a bit and it will clear up.

In short, drive it and dont worry about it. Sometimes monitoring stuff just turns you into a crazy person. They are designed to take care of themselves without help from you. If it needs help eventually it will ask for it.

Reactions: Keith Richards 768Q
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.