Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remove my egr cooler could I just use the insight to clear codes? I was really thinking about a smarty but dont want to push it. I tow alot and heavy. With all HG talk i"m a little concerned. My 5th wheel is 16,000 and with the egr unplugged and no dpf I feel the truck has plenty of power.

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
You can still use the Smarty......Just b/c you have one doesn't mean you have to jack the power all the way up like alot of us do.....LOL

I know plenty of folks that tow with the Smarty. Just get you a good get of mechanical gauges (Isspro EV2's) and a 3-gauge pillar, and you should be good to go.

I'd get Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp (automatic)....if manual tranny, I'd get Boost, Pyro & Rail Pressure

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can still use the Smarty......Just b/c you have one doesn't mean you have to jack the power all the way up like alot of us do.....LOL

I know plenty of folks that tow with the Smarty. Just get you a good get of mechanical gauges (Isspro EV2's) and a 3-gauge pillar, and you should be good to go.

I'd get Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp (automatic)....if manual tranny, I'd get Boost, Pyro & Rail Pressure
Agreed. I have the smarty on my truck and its never been higher than the 90hp setting. i pull on 60hp with everything default and have more than enough power. I pull either a horse trailer (15k), 37ft dovetail with tractor and implements(20k), or cattle trailer (14k) every weekend. I wouldnt worry about that HG problem, thats the people who run on the 170 hp setting and rub pedal to floor all the time. Then tehy put it back on sw1 or sw3 and blow the HG. Get you an edge insight like i did for a set of guages and go to town.

I asked this type of question about the vgt and tqm on the smarty yesterday. i got some great answers from some guys. good luck bud

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
Agreed. I have the smarty on my truck and its never been higher than the 90hp setting. i pull on 60hp with everything default and have more than enough power. I pull either a horse trailer (15k), 37ft dovetail with tractor and implements(20k), or cattle trailer (14k) every weekend. I wouldnt worry about that HG problem, thats the people who run on the 170 hp setting and rub pedal to floor all the time. Then tehy put it back on sw1 or sw3 and blow the HG. Get you an edge insight like i did for a set of guages and go to town.

I asked this type of question about the vgt and tqm on the smarty yesterday. i got some great answers from some guys. good luck bud
Actually, with 14ME, it jumped the power up to 200hp for SW9.....:lol4: :headbang:

It's insane bro. :turbo:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Actually, with 14ME, it jumped the power up to 200hp for SW9.....:lol4: :headbang:

It's insane bro. :turbo:
you aint kidding !!:thumbsup: Did you ever get any trans work done i n o when you first got yoor smarty you said you sliped it a lil and backed the tm down

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys. This truck is a beast stock. I do want the smarty just to give it that little bump in driveability. I do like the insight for guages. Are they accurate?

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,476 Posts
If you choose to do a conventional delete setup including the cooler, the cooler servo has to be kept connected. That means hanging it under the hood someplace. The Smarty or XRT allow for all that stuff to be removed. :thumbsup:
Like said, just cuz the unit will give mass HP, don't me you have to use it. I have run up to SW7 (130hp) without issue. I'm just not USING all the HP by controlling my Right foot.

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
Nope, so far the tranny has been alright (knocking on wood....LOL).

I think it's alright b/c I've been really easy on it. I haven't done any majorly-high boosted launches or anything like that. I haven't been acting crazy with it. I have done some burn-outs, one or two light boosted launches, and several rolling starts to WOT runs.

I'm trying to keep the tranny as long as I can. LOL

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
Thanks alot guys. This truck is a beast stock. I do want the smarty just to give it that little bump in driveability. I do like the insight for guages. Are they accurate?
Well............I don't care much (nor do I trust) digital gauges. Never have.

As far as accuracy....9 times out of 10, mechanical will be more accurate. That 1 time is cheap gauges. :lol4: :thumbsup:

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
If you choose to do a conventional delete setup including the cooler, the cooler servo has to be kept connected. That means hanging it under the hood someplace. The Smarty or XRT allow for all that stuff to be removed. :thumbsup:
Like said, just cuz the unit will give mass HP, don't me you have to use it. I have run up to SW7 (130hp) without issue. I'm just not USING all the HP by controlling my Right foot.
I run SW9 (200hp) all the time. But I haven't had any major issues b/c I am careful with my right foot. I control how much power I need with my foot. :thumbsup:

Sometimes, that foot will cause more damage than any performance part can...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Are you still running Torque Management on 4 or have you backed it off.
TQ 4 with the Smarty on Kill :shock:
What do you have the REVOs set at over all??
thanks bro

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
NOOOOO! I backed it back down to TQM 2 after it slipped my tranny. LOL

Well: SW9, TQM 2, RP 2, Timing 2, REVO 4

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Sounds like fun, I know you guys have right foot power control, but if I jacked it to 9 I would have to "see what it could do" LoL
The only thing I cant resist is temptation. LOL

·
Retired Old Fart!
8,476 Posts

·
Unreconstructed
6,513 Posts
So you stay away from strip clubs I guess. :lol4:
Who can resist those???

Reminds me of a song.......

"Titties and beer........."

:hehe::lol4::hehe:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
So you stay away from strip clubs I guess. :lol4:
LOL, As far away as can be, LOL. Me likey strippers, but me likey my, house, toys, truck, no alimony/child support even more. :hehe:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oh yeah, my wife. I like my wife too.
I thought there was something I was forgetting. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts