Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the diesel trucks and always understood them as not needing any emissions testing. Found out today that I do... I just put on an aftermarket exhaust which deletes the cat... how does everyone out here get their emissions taken care of?

·
Registered
62 Posts
wasnt a problem when i lived in morgan:hyper:

·
Registered
736 Posts
New to the diesel trucks and always understood them as not needing any emissions testing. Found out today that I do... I just put on an aftermarket exhaust which deletes the cat... how does everyone out here get their emissions taken care of?
i've never heard of such a thing about getting tested yet.

·
Premium Member
4,680 Posts
register in in juab co. :lol3: i know back when i was livin in lehi i had to go to a state run test center in provo or somewhere to get mine, and they were quite thorough with the test. but i never had a cat to begin with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think it is county specific. I am in Utah county and they don't require an emissions/opacity test anymore. At least they havn't since 04 or 05.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
if you live in a county / state that requires emissions testing AND your vehicle came with a cat covert from oem, then you HAVE to have it on, otherwise it will not pass inspection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
elephantrider... our 04.5's came with a cat. when i took off my exhaust, i just thought the first large object in the exhaust was a resonator and the second was a muffler. for those that know they don't have a cat and have an 04.5, do you just have a straight pipe from the turbo, to the muffler, then out the back?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did some more searching on here and found all 04.5's have a cat... major bummer. really don't want to put back on my old exhaust... especially sense it was a PIA to get it off.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
did some more searching on here and found all 04.5's have a cat... major bummer. really don't want to put back on my old exhaust... especially sense it was a PIA to get it off.
Maybe a quality muffler shop can splice the cat into your new system. Reportedly,the cat only sucks 2-4 rwhp.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not worried about the power loss.... worried about the fact that the cat has 4" piping and negates having a 5" exhaust. plus i just love the sound of this exhaust! nice and deep and no freeway drone (regardless of some people saying they do).

I appreciate all the responses. I'm new here and new to diesels and yet have been helped a lot thus far. I got a pm from a member here who will be helping me out. :beer you buddy.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
I can't help you but would like to see some pics of the cobra :thumbsup

·
Registered
602 Posts
Niel,

If you really need to have that CAT, I can help you with a Magnaflow 5" diesel performance cat at cost. Give me a yell if you want one and I'll tell you the real deal.

Magnaflow 60012 5" Inlet and 5" Outlet:
DIESEL METALLIC-CAT - (These universal converters are specially formulated to control diesel exhaust.) MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust has spun body catalytic converters utilizing the revolutinary new metallic catalyst technology. Using new manufacturning technology, Magnaflow fabricates each converter body from single CNC-formed and laster welded tubular section, which is then spun into a round converter body shape. Each converter is literally manufactured around the metallic catalyst, which is securely tucked inside, and necks down to thicker gauge material at the inlet/outlet for maximum durability. The catalyst is a spirally wound ultra thin metallic foil.

These new universal diesel spun body catlytic converters have no welds and contain a metallic substrate for optimum CFM flow and maximum durability. Specifically designed for the Ford Powerstrke and Dodge Cummins.

We have sold these to our local dealerships that install performance diesel systems. They are legal and flow great compared to stock. They also will not totally kill the sound like the stock cat.

Universal 60000 Diesel Series MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters by Car Sound

Larry

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
just gut your cat and put it back on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just a few...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Niel,

If you really need to have that CAT, I can help you with a Magnaflow 5" diesel performance cat at cost. Give me a yell if you want one and I'll tell you the real deal.

Magnaflow 60012 5" Inlet and 5" Outlet:
DIESEL METALLIC-CAT - (These universal converters are specially formulated to control diesel exhaust.) MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust has spun body catalytic converters utilizing the revolutinary new metallic catalyst technology. Using new manufacturning technology, Magnaflow fabricates each converter body from single CNC-formed and laster welded tubular section, which is then spun into a round converter body shape. Each converter is literally manufactured around the metallic catalyst, which is securely tucked inside, and necks down to thicker gauge material at the inlet/outlet for maximum durability. The catalyst is a spirally wound ultra thin metallic foil.

These new universal diesel spun body catlytic converters have no welds and contain a metallic substrate for optimum CFM flow and maximum durability. Specifically designed for the Ford Powerstrke and Dodge Cummins.

We have sold these to our local dealerships that install performance diesel systems. They are legal and flow great compared to stock. They also will not totally kill the sound like the stock cat.

Universal 60000 Diesel Series MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters by Car Sound

Larry
Hey Larry,
This is Erik Nielsen... I bought all my parts from you this past couple weeks. I will most likely go with this cat you're talking about but want to wait a while first. sounds like a great idea

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
cobra, whats your best quarter? One of my best friends had an 820 rwhp Mach....Then his girlfriend had a baby lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 99 has a cat, but I don't think that I need it. Anyone know about that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
my 99 has a cat. Do i need it on there?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts