Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around and I've found that alot of people are saying to get a s300 variant turbo. First thing, i've never heard of one of those. And second, where could I buy one if I did decide to get one because I even googled it and couldn't even find it. Are they good turbo's overall?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
the s300 turbo is built by Borg Warner turbo systems, this variant thing your hearing is that many if not all of the aftermarket turbos for our trucks are based off the s300 "frame" meaning they can run different sizes of compressor and turbine wheels and different exhaust housings and flanges etc. Yes they are pretty much one of the best out there as far as aftermarket for our trucks. For example an s300 turbo can have many different specs, many of the popular ones for our trucks are(going by specs in mm):

compressor wheel: 60, 62, 63, 64, 66
turbine wheel(exhaust): 65, 68, 71, 73
exhaust housings(in a/r): .81, .88, .91

heres the current BW catalog its got specs and everything go to page 17 and youll see s300 frame turbos.>> http://www.airwerksboosted.com/Files/BW-AirWerks-Performance-Catalog-2010.pdf

Buying one is up to you there are many suppliers out there and you will be very surprised at the price for pretty much the same thing that these big name companies sell, i just bought mine from dave here> http://www.turbodaves.com/Home_Page.html

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about the:
Borg Warner S300SX Borg Warner/Airwerks Performance turbo with 66mm Compressor wheel and T-4 Exhaust

Turbo Specs:
Compressor Wheel Inducer/Exducer 66mm x 91mm with Extended Tip Technology
Turbine Wheel Inducer/Exducer 80mm x 73mm
Turbine Inlet T-4 Divided
Turbine A/R - .88

Horsepower Rating 500-800 HP

Reactions: Trost25

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
that would be good, but with that 73mm turbine wheel, i really dont think youll like the lag that comes with it, but depending on how you tune your truck you could make it more manageable.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So which turbo do you prefer off that website or which one did you buy?

·
Registered
326 Posts
D-tech makes a sweet s300 too, I'm getting a 62mm but can't decide what size exhaist housing to go with.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
62/65/14 ain't bad... but no matter what u do, the 65mm wheel chokes off on the topend almost as bad as the hx35.... but u can make them spool almost the same, and they are a decent turbo to have, then drop an s400 under it and make a good set of twins

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
i ordered part number 177283 its on page 18, its a 63/68/.88 should be here in a few days ill let ya know how it goes when i get her installed

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think it would work good with the sticks I want? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it run. You can pm me the price if you want.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
sounds good buddy.... u get a T4 adapter... or a new manifold ???

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
cummins09, i paid 705 bucks shipped, and it should do pretty darn good with the those injectors which i have the same ones on the way for me as well, so i can give you guys some good feedback once i get everything on.

kronic187 i just got an adapter for now, but i will definitely upgrade to a t4 flanged manifold in the future, because i know the adapter isnt the best solution but it will do fine for now.

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
fair enough.... just make sure it's all the same size.... port it out / gasket match it if u have too

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow dang that's a good price. How do you think it will compare to an Aurora 3000?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
the turbo i got would probably do you better, idk exactly what size the a3000 is but i would think its somewhere in the range of 62-64mm comp wheel with somewhere around 70-73 turbine wheel. f

for the word turbo came in today along with the hx40 downpipe,(for what its worth i paid 90 bucks for the downpipe without clamp and i got the clamp for 10 bucks and both are very good pieces, so i saved alot of money)

and the t3-t4 adapter, and now all im waiting for is the the intercooler tube that goes from the comp housing to the intercooler(same one that d tech uses) and my injectors which should both be here real soon, im super stoked to get this stuff on, now just need a day off

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
i'm pretty sure the A3000 is a 62/65/14 just like everyone elses....

stay away from the big companies guys... i'm telling you, your wasting ur money.

you may not see it now, but a ways down the road your gonna look back and be like "wow, maybe they were right"

Reactions: honestcharlie56

·
Vendor
8,487 Posts
a3000 is not 62/65/14

Its either a 57mm or 59mm compressor and like a 15cm housing non wastegated. I had it written down, but someone should call to get exact specs.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
yea i just read somewhere on a ford forum earlier today that the specs were 57mm comp wheel with a 73mm exhaust wheel, thats really crazy being that our stock hx35 is 56mm, bur granted their probably using ett wheels and such.

·
Vendor
8,487 Posts
i would go direct to ATS and get them to give you the number. the fords often use a different size of exhaust wheel as they are larger displacement and have pipes all over the place so they don't spool the same. also the wheels there are 2 dimensions measured on each side inducer and exducer. the smaller part of the wheel may be 62mm, while the base of the wheel might be 80mm. for example garrett uses the large part of the wheel when describing a turbo so a garrett GT3788 would be a cartridge/frame size of "37" and the larger prt of the compressor wheel is 88mm, and flow is similar to a 62mm s300 comp wheel.

stock hx35 is either a 54mm or 56mm compressor wheel, but do not flow anywhere close to a 57mm s300 comp wheel
57mm BW s300= slightly more flow than 60mm holset (like on hx40 or 35/40 hybrid). Remember there are many factors that determine flow besides the compressor wheel.

flow maps are really needed to compare wheels, but the manufacturers often keep that stuff secret, and if they offer info it is vague. Garrett is the most free with their info.

·
Got P7100?
6,673 Posts
im pretty sure the a3k is a 57/65/.85(?) non gated housing

·
Banned
1,777 Posts
i thought .7 or .8 housing..... 12cm/14cm roughly

1 - 20 of 41 Posts