Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98.5 diesel 24valve.4x4, 275 injectors 35in tires, 3.50 gears, I have an hx 30 or 35 turbo not sure right now. edge EZ, I have a built HTT transmission with billet input and output shafts. The question is that I pulled my travel trailer for a long distance for the 1st time. It is a pull trailer not a 5th wheel about 30 feet my guess is a 9000lbs. Pulls easy but up here in the high sierras in California there are a lot of hillz and the altitude is 7500 feet and above. Some hills I have to slow to 40-55 to control the egts below 1200* and try to keep the rpms at under 2200rpm. The problem is I barely have the throttle depressed with lots of power on hand while trying to monitor the EGRs and the rpms. What can be done to get lower egts so I could use more of the avialable power. I am under the impression that 2200rpm is a good max rpm but I could be wrong can I get away with increase rpm for the hill climbs. Thanks not complaining too much this is a great truck
thanks for the imput ED

·
Registered
327 Posts
5" pipe and spray for racing/pulling, my buddy with 2 stages says it knocks the egts down a good 300*

·
Go for Broke
6,699 Posts
a larger turbo will work :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Get more air to her, big air filter, after market intercool if you can afford one, intake elbow

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
the problem is those bigger injectors without adding more air to go with them. add more air! exhaust, intake, and turbo if the first two don't do it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a 4" exhaust but it still has the muffler in the line, pretty sure the turbo is hx35 not sure what that is all about. It does have a pacbrake exhause brake which I think will be useful on the way home down the large grades. I have the stock box with a washable filter K&N(not crazy about them but it was on the truck and after cleaning and oiling was impressed how clean the intake was). My boy did suggest the after market intercooler but I wood guess that is big money. thanks for the input guys. ED

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
There's no reason to keep it at 2200 RPM. Throw that baby to 3000. :thumbsup

I have nothing against water fumigation, personally. :w:

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
get a CAI and really a water meth system your talking a couple hundred degrees what kind of EGT's you getting?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no reason to keep it at 2200 RPM. Throw that baby to 3000. :thumbsup

I have nothing against water fumigation, personally. :w:

I think I was mixing up the power band from the maximum safe rpm I could use for the short term hill climbing that is real good information, because that will make a big difference in my towing capabilities. This thing is one strong truck and seems to be set up well and is even getting good mileage when unloaded street driving, for a 4x4 heavy, with big tires. Thanks for input. Ed

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I would do a CAI and a new intake manifold/plentum. Also I belive you can run 1300-1350 with no problims. And IMO you could run that thing at 300-3200RPM all day long with no probims. But thats just my .02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts