Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiosity, I checked the total hours on my engine today. When I bought the truck, I suspected that it had been used as a highway runner and not a grocery getter. It appeared that the receiver hitch had never been used either, so I suspect that it was never used for towing. Anyway, I decided to figure out what the lifetime average speed is on the truck. I checked the hour meter and it shows 1,648 hours. There are 72,800 miles on the odometer. 72,800 divided by 1,648 = 44.17 MPH average. That seems to indicate that the truck may have been used on the highway a lot.

I'm curious to know how you use your trucks and what your average miles per hour are - for comparison purposes, if you care to share.

Ron

· Registered
894 Posts
that seems to b a pretty good # mine is only 31mph but i idle alot sometimes. btw how that trans shop treat u? curious if it turned out ok?:thumbsup:

· Banned
5,760 Posts
I think the dealer considers anything under 35 mph excessive idling. People on TDR say they have had dealers refuse to cover repairs based on excessive idling using this number.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that seems to b a pretty good # mine is only 31mph but i idle alot sometimes. btw how that trans shop treat u? curious if it turned out ok?:thumbsup:
The tranny shop was great. They really took their time with the truck. I was able to watch as they were doing the work and I thought it was top notch. They took the time to gently blow the fluid out of the cooler and return line. So, it is new fluid through and through. Hey, thanks again for the tip. :thumbsup:

· Here to learn
1,884 Posts
My average was like 17-18 last time I checked. Lots of idle time where I'm from in MN.

· Registered
60 Posts
Question. Mine's a plain jane ST model (a.k.a. no overhead console, power windows, locks, mirrors, etc...) There a way to check hours on it?

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would suppose that your ST would work the same way as the SLT. Get in the truck, close the doors. Turn the key to 'on' but don't start the truck. Make sure that the odometer (under the tach) is reading total miles. Push and hold the button in for 6 seconds. The odometer should change to hours and will continue reading hours for about 30 seconds. At least that's the way it works in my '05.

Ron

· Registered
122 Posts
my average is around 28mph... I idle alot...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.