Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be driving through Nevada and Arizona desert this June & July, so I'm wondering what people do in these climates, if anything, to help combat the heat. Does anyone put a cooler thermostat in or any additives in the cooling system. I'm thinking something like Redlines Water Wetter and the t-stat, plus some new hoses.

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Start out with fully charged batteries. Thermostat is okay as is. The heat and the cold take a big toll on batteries, and your alternator just recharges what the electrical system takes out of the batteries. Check your hoses and serpentine belt for cracks and lines. Replace if necessary. Take an extra gallon of water just in case. To drink, not to put in rad. In the old days we hung a canvas bag of water on the fender. but that was before AC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
as stated just ck out hoses and belts the heat will take its toll on a person that has no respect for it fast uphill driving in to hi of gears kill more of them around here than anything else but always carry a couple gals of fresh water with ya just in case

luc to ya Golden Valley AZ

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check your fan clutch as well Here in tucson we have a mess on the I-10 freeway Its pretty slow going right now

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree with what's been stated. Just make sure your up on your maintenance. For sure a new belt and check the fan clutch. Both my 01 and my current truck do fine in the Nv, Az desert.

·
Registered
75 Posts
check the radiator to see if the oil breather on the front of the motor hasnt gunted up the front of the radiator if you havent relocated it already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts