Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read something in diesel power about a Hot Start brand engine block heater that is kinda like a canister heater. well more like a hot water heater you have in a house but it just constantly circulates the warm coolant throughout the system. I have seen similar systems on emergency backup generators. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and what they thought? I don't have to plug in much in texas but looking at moving so i am doing my research. thanks

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Your Cummins already has a block heater. If you don't have the pig tail to plug it in, buy one. They work really well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
you do have a block heater more than likely but with that hot start it circulates the coolant to a temperature warmer that what the block heater will do. My block heater warms the engine up to 80 degrees i believe that hot start was like 120 or 140 if i remember reading plus factory one won't circulate coolant

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My early driving years were in Winnipeg where winter temperatures often dropped below -40. If you didn't plug your vehicle in (gas or diesel) you probably weren't going to start it until spring. Standard behavior if you were staying overnight without access to an electric plug was to leave the vehicle running.

One of my vehicles was a 1980 Mazda RX-7 which was not a great winter car for so many reasons. I had a bunch of electric help to keep it warm: block heater, dipstick heater, electric battery blanket, in-car heater, and a rad hose heater. (streetlights would dim when I plugged the car in).

I don't know why more people didn't use rad hose heaters because this was the most effective of them all. It didn't pump the coolant, but it flowed because of convection and really worked well.

Is that anything like the Hot Start?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't done anything other than use the stock heater in my CTD, but I also have a 2 litre VW diesel that did not come with a heater and has no frost plugs. I put in a 1000 W Zero Start heater and it works great. The only thing to remember with a natural circulation heater is to mount it low relative to the engine and make sure it has a path upward for the heated coolant to rise into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am well aware of the fact that my truck has the block heater, but like stated above, the Hot Start circulates the warm fluid and also is capable of warming the coolant to around 140F. engine block heaters are great but i was just wondering if anyone had experience with the canister style heaters, like i said, i am considering moving north (considerably colder than Texas) and was wondering what others thought. seems like a pretty good thing to me, i mean the ability to have the truck blowing warm air into the cab at start up. sounds cozy.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I tried one of the tank heaters a while back on my Jeep. It was a cheaper one, made by Kats, and didn't last very long. Worked great when it did though.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
You have the block heater there, you just need the cable. You can get it from the dealer, cummins and a few other places. If you just want the basic cable from Geno's get this: ENGINE BLOCK HEATER CABLE ('89-'11)-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage

Your block heater is located near the oil filter, their should be a black plastic cap on it from the factory. Depending on option some trucks came with the cord, may want to check first.

Also to help with warm ups you may want a winter front (front end cover), you can get aftermarket ones or the one from the dealer here: Chrysler EASy ? Accessories - Front End Cover

Installed it looks like this:

·
Rescue Tower
10,826 Posts
i read something in diesel power about a Hot Start brand engine block heater that is kinda like a canister heater. well more like a hot water heater you have in a house but it just constantly circulates the warm coolant throughout the system. I have seen similar systems on emergency backup generators. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these and what they thought? I don't have to plug in much in texas but looking at moving so i am doing my research. thanks
So you moving to Canada or Alaska? Otherwise that is massive over kill. Cummins will start well below zero on it's own. I'd love to see the electric bill to keep your coolant temp at 140 degrees. :shock:

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Some of the cold temp comments make me chuckle.

As for needing a block heater or your gas and diesel truck will not start is:rof.
The 2 determining factors are your cold CCA of your batteries (2, 850cca batts is a minimum) and the weight of your oil.

BUT, block-heaters :thumbsup: are a nice insurance policy, and it is easier on the starter. Plus the remote starts don't like a stiff engine.

I've started many trucks, snowcats, bulldozers, tractors, etc etc in some Very cold conditions.
With out any externail aids.

Now, why does it need to heat it over, lets say 70*F coolant temp? 140*f:confused013:, 70*f That's a nice warm summers day around hear.:confused013:

It will be in the lower -20's*F(with out the wind chill) here tomorrow and I'm going to do a test.

After the engine has cooled to -20 or lower.
(I'll use a obdt scan tool and a IR heat gun to confirm temps.)
I'll try to start a gas and a diesel dodge trucks.

Then I'll let them cool back off and plug in the block heater, I'll note the temps in 1 and 2 hr of heating. Some goofball told be the block heater is ineffective at those cold temps.:rof I know better but now I have the data.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts