Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a newb here on this forum. I am about to jump both feet into Hot shotting. I have been driving since '94, so I know how things work on the road. I have always wanted to do hot shot work, infact, I work for a hotshot outfit. BUT I seem to be getting back in Big trucks.

ANYHOW,
I have been skimming through all the threads about hot shot starting up and all. And I have a few questions I haven't found answers to.

What is the ideal trailer configuration? (disc/drum brakes, electric/hydro over electric, spread tandems/ close tandems, ect...

What brake controller are you all running? Why?

What about these back seat conversions that are supposed to be sleeper legal?

I have a 2003 3500, quad, 4x4, man tranny, with 95,+++ miles, paid for.
I'm looking at a 40ft gooseneck with disk brakes and a spread to be built for me. Yea, I know about the draw back of the spread, been pulling one for a long time and I feel its worth it. (in the big truck world anyhow) I was thinking of running this truck for 6 months or so then build my other truck (more on that later) to pull a roustabout float.(which I cant find who makes them)
I have been talking a bit to the folks at ACME, they seem to have the best set up for hotshots. And I have been around them for quite some years now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Find a trailer you like to pull. ACME is pretty deep into the hotshot game and should be a good starting off point for you. Your truck DRW?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes sir DRW.

I've driven for O/O's for years, so that doesn't bother me any. I feel it'll be a learning curve, just not sure how big of a curve...

I found a trailer dealer in Conroe, Tx that has a 40ft on the lot I can pick up for under $8,000. If I order the trailer the way I want it it'll still be under $9,000. AND i get to pick it up from the mfgr.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I knew a guy a cpl years ago who had built his own trailer for hauling plastic water tanks used in small pump trucks. His trailer looked about 40' long and had a crazy 8' spread between the axles, he said he never had problems. I do not hotshot but I like my axles like god intended close! Are you lookin to just do cars or are you going to take whatever you can get?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What ever pays good. I aint scared.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, yea, what is recommended for the truck so I dont get any unexpected surprises down the road?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll do the siggy when I get to the 'puter, but for now, as put in post 1..

2003 3500 drw, manual transmission, 4x4 quadcab. Other then the muffler removal and general maintenance, its bone stock. It even has the factory batteries in it still. I plan on changing those before I leave.

·
Registered
335 Posts
your welcome to call me if youve got some questions. If you go to ACME I assume you know they haul only oilfield. I am in that biz. also. I am with United Vision Logistics, formerly Ace. Gene 337-five eight zero-4080

·
Premium Member
771 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gene, I may take you up on that offer.. Definatly keeping your #

NDanecker, I feel I have gained more info right here on this forum. But I have been on both those forums.

I have been hauling oilfield for years, just in a bigger truck...

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I for one love spread axles. Over the years about 60% of my new trailers were so equipped. My trailers were equipped with 11' spreads and dump valves on both axles.

Why you may ask? Axle scales at that time were 10' in length. As mine where spread to
11', axles had to be weighed individually, thus the dump valves on both axles.

For those that have not quite figured this out, I used to haul way heavy at times. Also saved a ton of money on toll roads.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish i could do air ride on a GN, but thats way out there for the budget

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
NDanecker, I feel I have gained more info right here on this forum. But I have been on both those forums. .
Really? I think this is a great forum for Dodge specific info, but for Hot Shotting or hauling I would say this board stirs up more debate/arguments then answer questions. If I had a dollar for every CDL weight requirement thread I'd be a rich leprechaun! :hehe:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'd rather have disc brakes on any trailer of size. Same with torsion axles (but should consult with others on axle type for trailer config). MAXBRAKE is the controller I see most often cited as all-around best, but disc may require a particular controller. I'd certainly have an exhaust brake. And tires that say MICHELIN (although an O/O for Acme told me yesterday he's impressed with KUMHO lately).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm going to stay with spring on the trailer. Later down the road if funds permit, I'm planning on converting to air ride.

The mfgr was telling me the disk brakes use the same brake controller.

New Michelin's are already on the truck.

While waiting on the trailer to be built I'm going to flush/change ALL fluids.

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMO, if you are gonna hotshot oilfield equipment/tools with a GN, then Id stay with any manufactured 32 footer. I have a BigTex 40ft 22gn with tandem duals, 10k axles, electric/over hyd brakes and a 48" spread. That trailer works perfect for any ideal setup, plus it was cheap. If you go with an expensive custom trailer, its just gonna get trashed on lease roads in the long run. The leaf springs work great for the amount of weight we put on our trailers, no need to convert to air ride.

One thing I would consider, is getting a stakebed(flatbed) for your truck. I put a CM flatbed on my DRW and it has done me well.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts