Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, first off, new to a Cummins. Bought a 2009 3/4 ton 50,000 miles 4x4. Fuel mileage is on 11.5 mpg. Called the dealer and they're gonna clean egr and cooler they said. Would a dirty egr cause this horrible of mileage. Truck is bone stock. Anyone got any ideas of anything else they can check, ecm updates etc???? Other than the mpg, the truck runs good. No smoke or anything like that.

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
The MAP sensor on the back of the intake horn likely needs to be cleaned. On a stock truck they get pretty gummed up. I always used bake clean and an old toothbrush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch. Any other ideas?? Is there computer updates to be done with the dodge computers that would help out also does anyone know??

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think Lenny hit the nail on the head. Just make sure you use the non film brake cleaner. As far as ecm updates, the latest was the J35 recall. Keep in mind that with a stock truck you will never see great fuel mileage. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
11.5 sounds about normal for my truck in town is this what you are getting on the hwy unloaded?

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
do what lenny said, and at the same time unplug your EGR for 1-3mpg better. plug on intake horn perpendicular to driver. check/change airfilter, and some diesel kleen is prolly not a bad idea. also check your acceleration habits if you are hitting 2k rpm then your mpg will suffer and tire pressures.

·
Registered
353 Posts
crazyz, I am with you on this. I just purchased an 08 with 30K miles and the milage has been very dissapointing. I tried all of the above mentioned items and it has begun climbing on every tank. I was seeing 11-13.9 at my best. The dealer did a flash, (Don't know which one) and I noticed more power, and now It seems my mpgs are coming up. If I am correct, it looks like I may see around 16 for this tank. Once the deletes are in place, I hope to see better....if I don't dump this thing before then:banghead:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That 11.5 was highway mpg. Also, I am easy on the gas pedal. I usually never hit 2000 rpm before shifting. I don't know. If it don't get better, it'll be gone and I'll go back to the Duramax. I know that's a cuss word on this forum, but it's the truth.

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
That 11.5 was highway mpg. Also, I am easy on the gas pedal. I usually never hit 2000 rpm before shifting. I don't know. If it don't get better, it'll be gone and I'll go back to the Duramax. I know that's a cuss word on this forum, but it's the truth.
unplug your egr

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you unplug? Good test, just unplug & record a few mpg readings & let us know.

btw ... what diff gears?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts