Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my truck to get an alignment.. Of course there is stuff worn out so no alignment for me until I get this stuff replaced.. Anyways I'm trying to get it all fixed on one shot, so I'm trying to get a list together of what to replace..

What is definitely worn out is both lower ball joints, and both inner tie rods..

So here's my list, anything ya'll can think of to change while I'm at it?

Lower Ball Joints
Upper Ball Joints
Inner Tie rod ends
Outer tie rod ends
tie rod adjuster things
Pitman arm
idler arm
sway bar end links and bushings
upper shock bushings

Anything else? I've heard the control arm bushings usually don't wear out?

· Some-Sho Some-Go
1,650 Posts
A buddy of mine is doing the same thing, RUIDOSODODGE give him a shout maybe able to shed some light on it.

· Registered
9,117 Posts
So I took my truck to get an alignment.. Of course there is stuff worn out so no alignment for me until I get this stuff replaced.. Anyways I'm trying to get it all fixed on one shot, so I'm trying to get a list together of what to replace..

What is definitely worn out is both lower ball joints, and both inner tie rods..

So here's my list, anything ya'll can think of to change while I'm at it?

Lower Ball Joints
Upper Ball Joints
Inner Tie rod ends
Outer tie rod ends
tie rod adjuster things
Pitman arm
idler arm
sway bar end links and bushings
upper shock bushings

Anything else? I've heard the control arm bushings usually don't wear out?
YAAAP... They are horrible... The other thing is look at your track bar... not the bar but the bushings... or you can upgrade to the 3rd gen style which is what I am doing... also get a steering brace.. from BD, DSS, or PSC It's a pain in the rear but I am doing it all too:blues:

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but it has a ball joint in it.. Might as well why I am at it..

Yeah I'm looking into just changing the bearings and races out..
Doesn't look like it's serviceable, but I'm sure if I press them out and measure them my boss can get me hooked up with new ones... (he has a lot of hookups with different places)

· Registered
85 Posts
I went with a company called maxx links on the sway bar links. What an improvement! would recommend. Also when I had my allignment done, I had them add another 1.5 degrees of caster. That helped the steering wander. I have a 4x4 though

· Registered
255 Posts
I have a BD steering brace. Tightened it up some but the biggest thing I noticed is how well it returned to center after going around corners. Just my .02...carry on

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Im willing to try anything to tighten this up some that the only thing i dont absolutely love about my truck is the loose steering
I think we have all been there. My dually isn't too bad, but I drove a lifted 2500 that was just scary to keep on the road. However I have noticed my steering getting considerably looser and the passenger tire is wearing on the outside, so I am due for some front end fix up.

· Registered
676 Posts
just replaced my track bar, inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides, took it and got it aligned, still noticable play in my steering, ordering a steering gear box brace asap. if that doesnt fix it....i think ill just order a new steering gear box from napa. have you guys tried tighting the bolt on the steering ger box? i turned mine in a full turn, helped steering a bit, but not completely....these gear boxes go back about 150,000 iv been hearing from a few dodge people

· Registered
1,229 Posts
My truck has all oem original hardware, just maintained with 153k on it and one ball joint is finally giving way. Still has good tight steering. Just mauled the outside edge of my pass tire like kstinson has.

I think my truck lived on pavement(which aint a bad thing)

Who currently sells the best components for our 2nd gens? Ive heard Moog isnt as good as they used to be? I had Moog on my old truck and everything seemed fine, but everything only has ~20k on it now tops.

Jason

· Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My truck has all oem original hardware, just maintained with 153k on it and one ball joint is finally giving way. Still has good tight steering. Just mauled the outside edge of my pass tire like kstinson has.

I think my truck lived on pavement(which aint a bad thing)

Who currently sells the best components for our 2nd gens? Ive heard Moog isnt as good as they used to be? I had Moog on my old truck and everything seemed fine, but everything only has ~20k on it now tops.

Jason
I've already replaced one upper ball joint with the Master Pro bolt on ball joints from oreillys, and it seemed fine quality and just that one ball joint made a huge difference..

· Registered
5,648 Posts
just replaced my track bar, inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides, took it and got it aligned, still noticable play in my steering, ordering a steering gear box brace asap. if that doesnt fix it....i think ill just order a new steering gear box from napa. have you guys tried tighting the bolt on the steering ger box? i turned mine in a full turn, helped steering a bit, but not completely....these gear boxes go back about 150,000 iv been hearing from a few dodge people
as for a Loose steering box, before replacing it do the adjustment properly, you should have made it worse as you meshed the gears too tight, my advice is back the adjustment you did off(1 turn) then do the bearing preload first, then if required do the overcenter adjment(the screw you turned)

here is a link with lots of steering stuff

Ram Steering Problems

this is the link to do the bearing pre-load adjustment, it can be done in the truck without removing the pitman arm, takes less than 20mins to do, and usually removes the play from the steering box, just getting a new box does not gaurentee that it was adjusted properly either, I've found even the new ones need to be adjusted

Ram Steering Gear Adjustments

Reactions: RollinCole

· Registered
360 Posts
my box is pretty sloppy
first adjustment wouldnt let the wheel return to center, i think on the third adjustment i got my best results. still has slop i need to get a new box i guess, but for some reason i just bought a 64 turbo and 200's instead:confused013: so when will i buy the steering box???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.