Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have done some searching on here but not real throughly and have not came up with anything. The horn works when a hot and ground is put to it but not when its pushed on the steering wheel. Also the cruise does not work at all but use to. i have checked fuses and everything checks out. is there any problem spots i need to check where a wire could have possibly grounded out or is it in the steerin column. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks fellas

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Probably in the steering column...
A thing called a clockspring provides ground to the steering wheel for the horn and buttons. there's a wire connected to the clockspring that had a habit - on the 80's models, I had 2 of them - of breaking at the ground connection.
I believe it's below the turn signal plate.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE AN AIRBAG ! ! I had one pop and it ain't fun !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aight man i appreciated and im not sure on the airbag deal ill check im wanting to say it does not but i might be wrong

·
Registered
98 Posts
did you check the relays? Not the fuses but the relays, should be two box lookin relays on the fuse block, i have a 90' dodge ramcharger and the relay quit working, i think the cruise is right next to it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks and no i have not checked the relays but i will

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you come up with an answer to your cruise control problem. Mine doesnt work either, I have been researching the forum for a fix.
Thanx Clay

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Sorry to tell you, but there's no silver bullet fix for that one. I found 4 seperate and distincts issues with my cruise. Start with a check of your vacuum source (mine had a cracked and leaking fitting at the take off at the brake booseter).
I also found:
4 broken wires in the steering column at the point of flex in the tilt column. Check them closely, the insulation doesn't break, just the strands inside, so they look fine.

Brake switch misadjusted

Clockspring broken. On mine the PO had the column disconnected from the steering at some time and allowed the wheel to turn and got the clockspring and the steering out of phase causing the windings of the clockspring to pile up and break. Contrary to popular opinion you can take them apart and fix them. I cut off the mangled section and resoldered the ends. A real pita to get the fold right, but can be done. Then you find it's "comfortable" centre and reinstall it with the wheels pointed straight ahead.(it's over $230 here for a new one for our trucks, less than $40 for an aftermarket for the 2nd gens).

You need the wiring diagram to chase down the circuits.
Steve g

·
Registered
42 Posts
Steve, thanx for the info. I will start running stuff down this weekend. I just got the factory service manual for the 93's so I can hunt the wiring. The cruise is the only thing that does not work on mine so I'm hoping it is not a clock spring, I had to mess with one on my 91 lebaron, no fun. Thanx again.
Clay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts