Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have whats in my sig and i got done messing around with a buddy of mine and his 6.0 and when we got to the house he said i had a flame shooting out of my stack what in the world is causing this im pretty new to this. All i can thank of is im getting really hot:shock:....could it be the tst? :confused013:

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on guys somebody has gotta know whats going on please any help would be awsome im kinda worried

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I thought it was only the ford 6.4s that could throw flames lol!

I'v never ever heard of a cummins doing this. Does it run/idle ok? Only thing I can think to make a blue flame is the melting of metal. I would take it to a shop ASAP for a diagnostic!!

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i might have to but i wanted some ideas before it cost to go to a shop it aint a blue flame its a big a$$ orange one

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Put it back to stock and see if it still happens...oh, and post pics of the flame shooter!!

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i know i want a turbo and been looking but i was just trying to figure soomething out incase i should do something else could it be starving for fuel if the tst is up high

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well im still knew to the tuner but i usually put it on anywhere from 5 to 8 usually 7 only been to 9 like twice

· Registered
450 Posts
well i have whats in my sig and i got done messing around with a buddy of mine and his 6.0 and when we got to the house he said i had a flame shooting out of my stack what in the world is causing this im pretty new to this. All i can thank of is im getting really hot:shock:....could it be the tst? :confused013:
maby your buddie is ticked off :banghead: becuase the cummins kicked the powerstroke, hes upset so he wants to make it seem like you got a problem. i too would liek to see this flame mixed with the smoke :party018:

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have no clue how to even change all that i bought this from a buddy who sold his truck and dont know how to change all that nothing really just the exhaust and the tuner i need to install the airdogand afe i got for christmas its to cold though lol

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well believe me its sad to say i mean really sad but with my 6 speed against his auto and sct he rapes me but that will soon change

· Registered
643 Posts
You need to figure out how to use the TST before you melt your engine down. Level 7 is pretty damn hot for daily driving and if your EGT limiter is off you might have done some damage already. I leave mine set on 3-3 pretty much all the time, and that's with a decent list of mods. I would also get the AirDog put on sooner than later, because level 9 does put some pretty heavy strain on the stock system. Do you know how to use the sub menu? It takes a good hour of reading and then actually using the TST to understand all of the features but there is a lot you can do.
Here is a link to download the instructions if you haven't:
Installation Instructions

After I bought my TST I had to replace the turbo (shaft snapped) and clutch (stripped it almost clean) and add the AirDog all as a result of failure from the TST, so that should give you some idea of what will happen if you run keep running it that high without mods to support it.

· Registered
942 Posts
what kind of EGTs did you see? could be trash in the stack aka paint. (look for simple things that are cheep first)

· Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow! TST on 7 with stock fueling and turbo! that may be your problem right there. TST is a box to grow into. I have all kinds of mods and never go above 3 on power 5 on tq. and 4 on rail. TST suggests never going above 7 on rail unless your in economy mode. You need to go to there website and download their directions for your tuner. Make sure your egts are set on the highest you feel comfortable, boost on off, and timing on auto and the standard, not twin o3 or o5, and not run the high setting ons economy, you will pop an injector, which you may have done.

· Registered
643 Posts
I really think you need to spend some time learning how to use the TST, otherwise plan on having a lot of unexpected bills in the future. The TST will cause some serious problems with a mostly stock truck and the upper levels should only be used if you understand it and know what it does to the engine, and whether or not your motor can take it with your mods. Do some self educating and save yourself a lot of headaches and money.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
guys you have no clue how helpful this is thanks alot i will deff download them instructions. Now that i know all this is there something i can do to figure out if i fried a piston or screwed an injector up

· Registered
643 Posts
If you need any help learning the TST, just ask on here or send me a PM and I will do what I can to help you out. I printed the manual off and read over it, then went out to my truck and played with it until I understood how it all worked. There are several versions of the TST as well and you may not have all of the options listed like rail pressure, cool down, or adjustable timing or even the adjustable programs. There is the R37Ap and the R49AP, but you should be able to tell which you have just by seeing if the options on the R49 come up on your display.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.