Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hope I didn't screw up too bad..

743 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Big Mike270
Hey guys I pulled out my VP44 today as it is shot to HE!!. Anyway I barred the engine to get the key at 12 o clock. I went about the rest of the procedure and took the IP nut and washer off. In the process I must have turned the motor over a bit cause when I pulled the IP the keyway was in the 7 O' clock position. Other than that everything went good. Any tips or hints for when I put the new pump in? I will be putting superglue on the new key to hold it in place and hopefully then I wont lose it into the timing cover :doh: Anyway if this happened to any of you before it would be great to hear how it all went back together.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Diesel South
1,509 Posts
you can bar it over to 12 again, it won't hurt anything! or just put a smudge of grease on the dowel! I wouldn't use super glue

use a mirror to make sure its lined up and seated properly

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure you cant bar it over again once the pump is out because that gear is just sitting there. Maybe I'm wrong but that could be real bad.

· Cummins CrAzY
1,396 Posts
Watch the youtube video, there is a good tip/trick to do to the key to get it to stay in. Also if you sit the new pump next to the old one and line up the key it should slide right back in, just take you time doing it!

· Registered
1,207 Posts
you can bar the engine over and I have done over 20 pumps and never had the key come out, but I always put the key at 12 o'clock, just pump the pump in and then use a mirror to make sure the key is lined up before you start the nuts.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses guys. I am still waiting for the IP to get here. I am sure not looking forward to putting this pump back in with that keyway in the 7 O'clock position. No choice now I will have to try to get it lined up with a mirror under it.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well in the instructions I have it says once the IP is removed do not attempt to turn over the engine because the IP gear is just sitting on top of the other gear and you will damage the engine. I could have just barred it over had I noticed the key wasnt at 12 before I pulled the pump. Damn guess I know better for next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.