Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok decided im just going to custom build a hood and intake i have a few ideas but let me know what you guys think would perform and look the best

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i want to take a stock hood and buy some of the cheap scoops that are only supposed to be for looks and cut holes in the hood and make them functional and use a Y pipe to put a filter under each scoop kind of like a ram air thing and to bring down the temp in the engine compartment

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Under hood temps by and large are not a concern and a ram air effect would be useless because of the turbo.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would it make a difference as far as how cold the intake air is?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
just hope that it doesnt rain or yoiull be sucking rain in through the scoops

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Cold air is better because it is more dense.

It is most important on gas engines because of potential vapor lock. This situation can not exist on a diesel.

If you will notice, on a stock air intake system air is drawn for the front of the truck, thru the fender and into the turbo.

While a poor system, it is the best the factory could do given what they have to work with.

All over the road trucks operate on ambient air temperature. That is the temperature of the outside air. Lowering the temp. of the incoming air is at best, a marginal improvement on a diesel.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wont be daily driven going to be a puller hopefully. just want to do someting really uniqe and want it to perform well also. so any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Make it suck air higher than the hood but lower than the stack.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok what purpose does that serve? if none at all still sounds good lol. what is a modded sled weight?

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
Quick answer: The less turbulance the incoming air has, the better. In other words, a straight pipe is better than a crooked one. So, if you can have one 90 degree bend as it goes into the turbo and then straight up, it would be better than a lots of twists and turns.

I don't know anything about sled pulling but I have an 11 second + quarter mile drag truck. (Gasser)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats pretty quick i have a friend that just bought a 97 camaro lt1 that runs an 8.009 i used to have a 79 chevrolet that ran a 12 something

1 - 11 of 11 Posts