Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Hood stack, CAT stack, or Duals???

18239 Views 50 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  92 smokin blacky
I cant decide what I wanna do with my exhaust. I wanna do a hood stack, CAT stack or duals, but I don't know which one to go with. The hood stack would probably be the easiest and cheapest, I was plannin on 4" from turbo, with a 5" tip stickin out of the hood about 12" or 18" with a flapper on the top. And I was thinkin about gettin a turnout tip to so i could change it to a turnout hood stack if i wanted to. Or should I go with a CAT stack? I think they look really sweet and I know where to get one really cheap. I don't think I've ever seen a 1st gen with a CAT stack so it would be differrent. Or should I go with duals? I think i can get a set of 4" duals with 6" tips off my friends dad's powerchoke for a good price cuz he wants to put stacks on it. I would have to do a little fitting with them but I think I could make them work. The duals would be fun cuz I could still smoke people out and stuff, except for on both sides!:thumbsup: I'm just not sure what to go with. What do you guys think I should go with? thanks
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
571 Posts
CAT stack

You'll get points for originality plus it doesn't scream hillbilly so much as the hoodstack. I can say that cause I ran one on mine for about a week and HATED it. Went to a 6" single stack since. Much better.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
dont think about a hood stack dont want anyone around me with one:lol4: I dont think many will copy me on my hood stack around here like they did on the stacks. but the cat stack noone has around here so that would be different

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey nic, does your 2nd gen have a hood stack or black stacks??? post up some pics of it. I think the CAT stack would be pretty cool and your right, I haven't seen anyone around here with one, so I'm leanin towards that. then I could go to the duals really easy too if i wanted to. If i did the hood stack, I would have to buy a bunch of 4" elbows and fit them up cuz I want it to come out farther away from the windshield, plus cuttin a hole in my hood is permanent. Plus it would be a little harder to see around where this truck is a daily driver. So I think the CAT stack is the best idea for now.

· Registered
332 Posts
i like the single miter stacks personally. i just put a 4" turbo back exhaust with a 5" single miter stack and i love it. its the only one around here with a single....you dont see too many stacks around here yet.

· Registered
323 Posts
either a single miter cut in the back, or straight piped four inch duals.

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts
Go with a 7in cat stack.

· On call 24/7
13,746 Posts

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
hey nic, does your 2nd gen have a hood stack or black stacks??? post up some pics of it. I think the CAT stack would be pretty cool and your right, I haven't seen anyone around here with one, so I'm leanin towards that. then I could go to the duals really easy too if i wanted to. If i did the hood stack, I would have to buy a bunch of 4" elbows and fit them up cuz I want it to come out farther away from the windshield, plus cuttin a hole in my hood is permanent. Plus it would be a little harder to see around where this truck is a daily driver. So I think the CAT stack is the best idea for now.
black 5" stacks right now but both here in a week or two, here is a crappy pic of my buddies phone. I gotta be different so there in the middle on the out side of the slider window

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well i picked up the CAT stack last night. It is an 8" CAT stack. I think I will go 4" from turbo to the end of the t case and then 5" from there to the bed and then the 8" CAT stack. Sorry the truck is a little dirty, I haven't had time to clean it but here is an idea of what it will look like (I just set it on top of a 5 gallon bucket):

my question is how should I put it? should i put it in the corner of the bed with some elbows like the top pics? or should i bring it straight up where it comes through the bed like the bottom pic?

oh and I also found a piece of 8" stovepipe in our basement so I might repaint it and put it on the bottom of the CAT stack so it is 8" from the bottom of the bed up.

I can't wait to put this thing on! I think it will be pretty sweet! I think it will be way loud! It might look a little goofy at first, but once I get a tint, a lift, and some bigger rims and tires I think it will look dang good! and if i find another CAT stack, I was thinkin dual CAT stacks! what do you guys think?

· Registered
108 Posts
i think it would liik sweet i have seen these style stacks before but i didnt know they were called cat stacks lol i think these are my new favorite right infront of the miter lol looks sweet cant wait ti see some instal pictures.

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
i think it would liik sweet i have seen these style stacks before but i didnt know they were called cat stacks lol i think these are my new favorite right infront of the miter lol looks sweet cant wait ti see some instal pictures.
they call them cat stacks because there made for cat motors, and people just put them on there trucks.

just use that as a hood stack lol

· Registered
1,150 Posts
i have an 8 1/2 inch flat top on mine, it getting cut and reworked into a cat style though, my exhaust is 4 inch turbo back and then into the 8 ich stove pipe, it resonates BAD at about 70 when im pulling, and its loud as SH*T and sounds wicked. you'll love it:headbang:

here's a pic of mine:

· Registered
332 Posts
holy crap thats big....i like it tho. i dont think i would do duals....im a big fan of single stacks, but hey, its yours right??? youll have to put up a video or something so i can hear what this monster sounds like.

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they call them cat stacks because there made for cat motors, and people just put them on there trucks.

just use that as a hood stack lol
ha ha I was thinkin about stickin that thing out of my hood but I'm afraid I couldn't see around that huge thing! :headbang: maybe when i get bored of it stickin out of the bed, I will stick it out of the hood, and then i will have a big hole in my bed and my hood!:lol4:

oh I can't wait to put this thing on! I can't wait to hear what it will sound like! I'm just waitin til my next paycheck and I will get some 4" pipe and fab up a downpipe and then some 5" pipe and a flexpipe to go up through the bed and then I'll have to make a 5" to 8" flange for it. I'll surely post some pics and maybe a video when i get it on! I can't wait:drool2:

· So God Made a Farmer..
2,042 Posts
she looks like its gna be a good addition to your truck. but you gota make sure you can roal enough coal to fill er up! LMAO

· Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
she looks like its gna be a good addition to your truck. but you gota make sure you can roal enough coal to fill er up! LMAO
Oh i can! don't worry... and I plan on gettin a Denny T stage II pin too or takin my afc lever out so that will help!:party018:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.